You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 269274  

Print Page



©  Michael Bass

IoE Number: 269274
Location: BARFORD HOUSE AND OUTBUILDING WING AT REAR, BARFORD PARK
  ENMORE, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Michael Bass
Date Photographed: 18 October 2001
Date listed: 29 March 1963
Date of last amendment: 29 March 1963
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST23NWENMORE CPBARFORD PARK2/14Barford House and outbuildingwing at rear

ST23NW ENMORE CP BARFORD PARK 2/14 Barford House and outbuilding wing at rear 29.3.63 II* Small country house in a landscaped park. Circa 1710 for Jeanes family on an earlier farmhouse core; altered with added wings and an attic storey c1740; minor late C18 and C19 work; restored post 1958; 2 metal pennants, dated:- "J.G. 1666" and "A.G. 1775". Local red brick of several different hues, Flemish bond, some moulded, rubble core; freestone dressings; slate roofs, some bitumenised, large brick stacks with moulded caps; 2 ridge lanterns, one on a base formed by a brick stack, arcaded with cupola and a pennant, the other conforming though executed in fibreglass. Symmetrical, main block rectangular on plan, flanking quadrant wings; Baroque. Centre portion of 2 storeys and attic, 5 bays, rusticated ashlar quoins to ground and first floor, plinth band, moulded first floor band, moulded and dentilled cornice at attic floor level; attic storey with end pilasters, parapet with moulded capping, corner urns. Twelve-pane sash windows to ground and first floor in moulded cambered head architraves with keys, sills on consoles; 6-pane sash windows in moulded architraves to second floor. Central architrave door opening, triangular pediment on consoles; half- glazed door, paired panelled inner doors. Single storey wings; frieze and moulded cornice, tall parapet with a coping. End elevation of each with a pedimented gable, coping ramped over with pedestal; under each two 12-pane sash windows with thick glazing bars, moulded architraves similar to main block; circular window to tynpanum; brick corner pilasters and pilasters at intervals flanking an arcade of blank semi- circular head niches with emphasised imposts. Returns and rear in plain style; some 12-pane sash windows similar to front, some 2-light casements, some with leaded lights; 2 storey bow. Single storey rubble outbuilding at right angles to rear. Interior with simple cornices; flagged entrance hall; 3 good chimney pieces to ground floor, further C19 chimney piece; dining room with panelled chimney-breast; staircase; 6-panelled doors. (Country Life, November 7, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.