© Mr Mick Humphreys LRPS
CHURCH OF ST EDWARD KING AND MARTYR,
GOATHURST, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Mr Mick Humphreys LRPS
11 June 2002
29 March 1963
Date of last amendment:
29 March 1963
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST23SE GOATHURST CP
7/32 Church of St. Edward King and
Anglican Parish Church. Predominantly C14, C15; C19 work, including restoration of 1884. Rubble, freestone dressings,
slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave with south porch and south transept which was the Tynte family
pew; chancel with North chapel a tomb chapel of the Halswell family which was added early C17; West tower.
Perpendicular. Embattled 2-stage tower with angle buttresses terminating half-way up, offsets, gargoyles, topping stair
turret with slit windows; 2-light bell-chamber windows of Somerset type with filling quatrefoil interlace; 3-light West
window, door. Two bay nave, 3-light pointed head windows; south transept of single bay, C19 three-light window, door.
Two bay chancel, 2-light square head windows, 3-light East windows. Tomb chapel with 2 and 3 light square head windows,
each light with a 4-centred head, 2 oval windows, West doorway with a porch, 4-centred arch outer door opening. Benched
nave porch on a flag floor, wagon roof of late C15 with ribs and bosses, moulded inner and outer door openings.
Interior plastered on tile, encaustic tile, flag and marble floors, cast-iron heater grilles. Nave with C15 wagon roof
with ribs and bosses, moulded wall plate; chancel with late C19 wagon roof; Tynte pew with neo-Elizabethan plaster
ceiling of c1830, frieze with achievements; tomb chapel with beamed ceiling. Moulded C14 tower archway; C19 chancel
arch; squint to Tynte pew; C15 moulded beam at entrance to tomb chapel. Very richly furnished, mostly by
Halswell-Tynte-Kemys family of Halswell House (qv). Tomb chapel with chest to Sir Nicholas Halswell, obit. 1633,
recumbent effigies under a canopy with achievement, against the tomb kneel figures of their sons and daughters; Baroque
monument to Halswell family, late C17, Latin inscription with flanking columns and a pediment, allegorical figures;
sleeping child of marble, Isabella Anne Kemys, obit. 1835, by Raffaeli Monti; monument to Elizabeth Kemys Tynte of 1838
by Hopper of London; wooden cartouche with Tynte arms; on floor memorial slabs; late C17 chest; Jacobean altar table;
clarinet of 1827. Chancel with C14 aumbry and piscina; wall monument to William Trivett, obit. 1730, slate; Anne Kemys
Tynte, obit. 1836 by Hopper, also by Hopper to Henry Parsons; embroidered pulpit fall of 1733; Jacobean coffin stools;
C19 decalogue plaques and choir stalls; late C19 stained glass. Nave with large wall monument to Sir John Tynte, bust,
Rococo cartouche, by J. M. Rysbrack, 1742; another to Sir Charles Kemys Tynte, obit. 1785, by Nollekens, medallion,
female figure extinguishing a torch, probably representing fame; 4 further C19 Kemys Tynte monuments; octagonal C15
font; pulpit c1630 with tester of c1690, both wooden, with strapwork; remains of some C17 pews, refurbished C19; upper
and lower entrances to rood, rood stair; royal arms of 1707 lectern of 1902. Tynte pew with C18 seating; helmet,
sword, gauntlets and crest of Sir Nicholas Halswell. Under tower C18 funeral hatchments; early C18 painted panelling;
charity plaque of 1832; 5 early bells; clock by John Hunt of Bridgwater of 1734; late C19 stained glass to West window.
(R. D. Ansdell, Church Guide, 1982; Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).