You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 269322  

Print Page



© Mr Mick Humphreys LRPS

IoE Number: 269322
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD (north side)
  NORTH PETHERTON, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Mick Humphreys LRPS
Date Photographed: 28 June 2002
Date listed: 29 March 1963
Date of last amendment: 29 March 1963
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST33SWNORTH PETHERTON CPCHURCH ROAD (North side)NORTH NEWTON8/60Church of St. Peter

ST33SW NORTH PETHERTON CP CHURCH ROAD (North side) NORTH NEWTON 8/60 Church of St. Peter 29.3.63 GV II* Anglican church. Tower postulated of Saxon origin, altered 1635; remainder completely rebuilt for Rev. Thomas Eaton, 1885. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, coped verges, tile roofs. Nave, chancel, North and South aisles, North vestry, West tower porch. Tower with Perpendicular features, remainder in an Early English style. Tower of 2 stages with a parapet and moulded coping, 2 and 3-light ovolo-moulded stone mullioned windows with labels, leaded lights, slit window to North face on upper stage; 4-centred arch door opening in a moulded surround to West, plank door. Remainder of building with lancets, grouped; buttresses, offsets; vestry with chimney, rose window. Benched porch on flag floor, Jacobean panelling, moulded inner doorway, paired plank doors. Interior plastered on flag and tile floors. Broad chancel arch. Salient features the items of Jacobean furniture including an arcaded rood screen with heavy moulded cornice supported on 4 caryatids, 3 of which are said to represent Three Virtues; carved reader; carved pulpit, dated 1637; carved door to vestry with relief depicting parable of Wise and Foolish Virgins; reredos and altar constructed of re-used panelling; table; 2 carved chairs. Medieval consecration cross on south wall of south aisle. Painting of interior ante restoration by W. Cartright, C17 coffin stool and chest, C19 pews, choir stalls, altar rails and font. Simple C19 stained glass, in Early English style, particularly to chancel. Jacobean work executed for Sir Thomas Wroth (Church Guide; VCH forthcoming).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.