© Mr Terry Abbiss
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHARLYNCH HILL (east side)
SPAXTON, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Mr Terry Abbiss
20 June 2002
29 March 1963
Date of last amendment:
09 January 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST23NW SPAXTON CP CHARLYNCH HILL (East side)
2/140 Church of St. Mary
(Formerly listed in Charlynch
Anglican Parish Church; now deconsecrated. C11, C13, C15; tower probably of 1867; restored 1887. Rubble, coped verges,
slate roofs. Nave with south porch and transeptal south chapel, chancel with vestry and organ chamber, west tower.
Three stage tower with octagonal stair turret, diagonal buttresses, crenellated parapet, bell-chamber windows. Nave
with late Norman south doorway, gabled porch; a 2-light square-headed Decorated window to left and projecting transept
chapel with 3-light square-headed window to right. The chancel also has a 2-light Decorated window on south side and a
reticulated east window. Interior plastered; C15 moulded plaster ceiling; Norman responds to C13 chancel arch; traces
of rood stair; C15 stained glass in east window of transept; Norman font; transept railings Laudian and previously the
altar rails. Numerous marble memorials of C17-C19. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).