You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 269444  

Print Page



© Mr John Bjergfelt

IoE Number: 269444
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH ROAD (west side)
  BAWDRIP, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Bjergfelt
Date Photographed: 24 June 2000
Date listed: 29 March 1963
Date of last amendment: 29 March 1963
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BANDRIP CPCHURCH ROAD (West side)ST33NW8/5Church of St Michael and AllAngels

BANDRIP CP CHURCH ROAD (West side) ST33NW 8/5 Church of St Michael and All Angels 29.3.63 GV II* Anglican parish church. Predominantly late C13 early C14, extensively restored 1866. Squared, and coursed and squared rubble, rough-dressed quoins, tile roofs, crested ridges, coped verges, cruciform finials. Decorated and neo-Decorated style. Nave, chancel, crossing tower, north and south transepts, south porch, small C19 lean-to vestry by the porch. The tower plain and unbuttressed, embattled, string at bell-chamber stage and below the parapet, gargoyles; single light bell chamber windows with louvres, below 2 blocked 2-light windows with tracery and 2 single light openings with foiled heads, each with leaded lights; clock. Two bay nave, 2-bay chancel, single bay transepts, windows with curvilinear tracery, much renewed, labels with carved heads as stops. Square head 3-light north and south windows to chancel as well as the 3-light pointed head east window are Perpendicular. Gabled porch, benched interior on a flagstone floor. Interior scraped on flagstone floors. C19 roofs. The crossing with arches of 2 orders supported by corbels carved as heads, these in turn supported on massive lias piers pierced by squints to chancel and through way between nave and north transept; above a cantilevered stone staircase which gives access to ringing chamber reached by an external doorway. Chancel with aumbry, sedila, and piscina; piscinae to transepts, that to south particularly fine. C17 coffin stool. C18 chair. Cl9 pulpit, pews, font, organ and stone reredos. North transept with recumbent effigy of Sir Simon de Bradney, in armour, obit. 1375, foiled canopy with pierced cusping and 4 carved heads. C17 memorial behind the altar with Latin text. Five late C18 early C19 wall monuments. C19 and early C20 stained glass. Four early bells. (Faculty deposited SRO pertaining to 1866 restoration; Church Guide).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.