You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 269449  

Print Page



©  Michael Bass

IoE Number: 269449
Location: CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES, STATION ROAD (west side)
  BURTLE, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Michael Bass
Date Photographed: 25 February 2001
Date listed: 24 February 1987
Date of last amendment: 24 February 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BURTLE CPSTATION ROAD (West side)ST34SEEDINGTON BURTLE6/10Church of St Philip and St James-

BURTLE CP STATION ROAD (West side) ST34SE EDINGTON BURTLE 6/10 Church of St Philip and St James - - II Anglican parish church. 1838-9 by Richard Carver, the County Architect and Surveyor. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, slender buttresses with offsets, coped verges, slate roof; to east a cruciform finial; to west a polygonal stone bellcote with embattled parapet and ribbed stone spirelet with poppy finial, weathervane, each alternating face with bell-opening, wooden louvres. Nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry. Decorated style. Three bay nave, 2-light windows with simple stone tracery, west end with narrow door opening, above a blank 4-light stone mullioned and transomed window. Simple porch, plain outer door opening, flagstone floor, inner plank door with good iron hinges. Small plain vestry. Single bay chancel, 2-light square-headed windows to north and south; 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. Plastered interior on flagstone, tile and encaustic tile floors; plastered elliptical shaped ceiling to nave; plastered wagon ceiling to chancel; bold ornamental cornices; plastered chancel arch. The fittings are contemporary, including west gallery, pews, font, reader, pulpit, decalogue plaque, altar rails and choir stalls. Jacobean coffin stool. C19 wheeled bier. Stained glass to west window of 1864; other windows with plain square paned leaded lights. Brass memorial plaque of 1892. (Colvin H M, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1978).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.