You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 269457  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 269457
Location: CHILTON PRIORY, BATH ROAD (north side)
  CHILTON POLDEN, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 16 August 2001
Date listed: 24 February 1987
Date of last amendment: 24 February 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CHILTON POLDEN CPBATH ROAD (North side)ST33NEPOLDEN HILL9/18Chilton Priory-

CHILTON POLDEN CP BATH ROAD (North side) ST33NE POLDEN HILL 9/18 Chilton Priory - - II Folly, subsequently much enlarged to become a country house. Tower and wing at rear 1838, for William Stradling, an antiquarian and collector, to house his collection; remainder added mid/late C19, some C20 alterations; the whole fabric incorporates re-used medieval and later features. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, embattled parapets, flat bitumenised roofs, rubble stacks. Earliest portion in Gothick style, later addition in Tudor style with mock-military mannerisms; irregular plan and elevations. Tower adjacent to roadside, 3 storeys, diagonal buttresses with offsets, octagonal stair-turret, on first floor an oriel, stone-mullioned and transomed windows, on second floor single light windows with cusped heads, an iron casement to each, string below battlements with gargoyles. Single storey wing attached to east of tower, lancet windows with cusped heads, gabled porch to south with door opening in a re-used Perpendicular surround, door dated 1616. The attached ranges to south and east of 2 storeys, stone mullioned windows, lancets, turrets and angular bays. Interior features of interest predominantly confined to the early part of the building including re-used C17 altar rail; medieval stained glass; carved corbels; and fireplace in a massive freestone surround. Attached garage and outbuildings to east are not of special interest. (Stradling William, Chilton Priory, 1839).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.