© Mike Bedingfield LRPS
CHURCH OF ST EDWARD, CHURCH LANE (east side)
CHILTON POLDEN, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Mike Bedingfield LRPS
16 August 2001
24 February 1987
Date of last amendment:
24 February 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHILTON POLDEN CP CHURCH LANE (East side)
9/26 Church of St Edward
Anglican parish church. C15 origin, rebuilt 1889 by Henry Edwards of Bristol.
Rubble, slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials, gabled west bellcote.
Nave, south porch, north aisle, north porch and vestry, north transept,
chancel. Neo-Perpendicular with some Perpendicular features remaining. Four-bay
nave, 2-light windows, 3-light west window. Gabled porch with large C18 memorial
slab inset to east; medieval ribbed and studded inner door with elaborate
iron hinges. Four-bay north aisle, embattled parapet, 2-light windows. Lean-to
north porch. Single bay transept. Two bay chancel, two 2-light windows to south,
3-light east window, large C18 memorial slab inset to east. Interior plastered
on a tile floor; wagon and lean-to roofs. Aisle with plain 4-bay arcade.
Medieval chancel arch and font. Jacobean chest. C18 chest. Remainder of fittings
C19 including pews, choir stalls, organ, altar rails and reredos. Six C18 wall
monuments, 3 early C19 wall monuments. Simple stained glass. C18/early C19 painting
of Virgin and Child. Roof with remains of carved medieval wall-plate.
(Faculty and architect's plans deposited SRO).