© Michael Bass
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE
WEST HUNTSPILL, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
30 May 2001
29 March 1963
Date of last amendment:
29 March 1963
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
WEST HUNTSPILL CP CHURCH ROAD (West Side)
2/59 Church of St Peter
(Church Road marked on OS map as Church Lane). Anglican parish church.
Established by 1208, rebuilt c1400, extended early-mid C15, gutted by fire 1878,
restored 1879-80. Coursed and squared lias rubble, freestone dressings,
gargoyles, parapets with moulded copings, some of which are embattled, tile
and lead sheeting roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials, C19 ashlar stack
to the vestry. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south chapels
clasping the chancel, north vestry at east end of north chapel, south porch,
west tower. Perpendicular. Tall and sturdy tower, embattled, 4-stages, set-back
buttresses with offsets which ascend only as far as the top stage; stair turret
between the buttresses at south west corner; ringing chamber stage with simple
oblong windows; 2-light bell-chamber windows with Somerset tracery; richly
treated west end, pointed arch door opening in a moulded surround, the spandrels
with, blank shields, flanking shafts and foiled niches outside these, large
5-light window overall, plank doors with ornamental strap hinges. Five bay nave,
5 bay aisles, tall and narrow 2-light windows with thick tracery, buttresses,
north and south doorways, plank doors and iron strap hinges; the south with a
2-storeyed porch, broad moulded outer door opening, above a single light window
to parvis, inside benched on flagstone floor, strap, parvis floor removed.
Three-bay chapels with large 3-light traceried windows, buttresses, low north
and south doorways. Chancel with large 5-light east window, tracery. Two
storeyed vestry, floor now removed, blocked window on first floor to east, on
ground floor a 3-light window with renewed tracery. Majority of windows with
iron saddle and stanchion bars. Lofty plastered interior on tile and encaustic
tile floors, elaborate neo-medieval roofs on the restoration, much carving
including figures; on C14 corbels, some as heads, 6 angels to chancel holding
the emblems of the Passion. Nave with arcades of 5 bays, piers of 4 hollows
section, 2 conforming narrower bays to the chapels. Tower arch with responds
of 4-hollows section, boldly treated. Vestigial chancel arch set high up.
Blocked window to north of chancel with tracery. South chapel with Cl4
piscina. Upper and lower entrances to rood with turret. South aisle with tomb
of Sir William Cogan and lady, obit c1380, recess with life-size effigies,
cusped outer arch renewed C19. Small oval brass memorial to chancel of 1687.
Jacobean pulpit with arcade of blank arches and texts, some Cl9 embellishments;
restored C17 chair; neo-Norman font with C17 tester; C17 chest and a Cl4 iron
bound chest. Royal Arms of Charles II under tower. Early C18 painting under
tower, St Peter healing the cripple. C18 altar table, stated to be the remains
of a much larger reredos. C18 wooden cartouche over south door. Remainder of
fittings predominatly late C19, high quality work including pews, lectern,
organ, parclose screens, altar rail and stone reredos. Five principal brass wall
monuments, 4 charity plaques. Carved choir stalls of c1930. Fine east window by
Clayton and Sell, 2 further late C19 stained glass windows; 2 mid C20 stained
glass windows, one by William Aikman. Although gutted the medieval work that
remains is of great worth, for example the tower, arcades, and window tracery.
(Church Guide, anon; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West
Somerset, 1958; SANHS Proceedings, 98, l3-16).