© Michael Bass
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET (north side)
WOOLAVINGTON, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
25 February 2001
29 March 1963
Date of last amendment:
29 March 1963
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
WOOLAVINGTON CP CHURCH STREET (North side)
5/70 Church of St Mary
Anglican parish church. C11, C13, C14, C15; extensively restored 1880. Coursed
and squared rubble, coped verges, slate roofs except double-Roman tiles to
vestry. Nave, chancel, south porch, north chapel, north vestry, west tower.
Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular. Three stage embattled tower, angle
buttresses with offsets to lower stage, 2-light bell-chamber windows,
stair-turret with embattled octagonal upper stage, clock; the embattled parapet
with corner pinnacles is probably C17; 2-light window on south side of tower.
Three bay nave, 2-light square headed windows and large 3-light window to south
with gablet, vestigial remains of a blocked Norman doorway on north side. Gabled
porch, simple inner and outer door openings, C15 ribbed and studded door with
ornamental strap hinges. North chapel to Gilbert de Woolavington, C13 with
grouped lancets. Similar the ground lancets to south side of the chancel, 2-light
square-head window to north, C17 3-light east window in Perpendicular style,
priests door. Interior scraped, floor not seen (fitted carpet at time of survey
September 1985); C19 wagon roofs, that to nave and chapel plastered; porch with
C14 wagon roof. Tower supported on 4 intersecting triple-chamfered arches,
early C14, these were intended to create a crossing which was never executed.
Plain C13 archway to north chapel; C14 chancel arch. Lower entrance to rood;
sedilia; piscina to chapel; aumbry to chancel; hagioscope. Octagonal C15 font
with quatrefoils. Wooden pulpit composed of C16 and C17 work, richly carved.
In the chancel a detached stone head, C15, all that now remains of a former
effigy. Stone with incised initials inset to north wall of nave, probably to
Sir John Hody, Chief Justice of England, obit 1441. Two Jacobean chairs,
2 coffin stools. Three C18-early C19 wall monuments. C19 pews and organ.
Late C19 stained glass window to south of nave. Five early bells.
(Church Guide; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset,