© Mike Bedingfield LRPS
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS,
GREINTON, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Mike Bedingfield LRPS
19 July 2001
29 March 1963
Date of last amendment:
29 March 1963
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
3/14 Church of St. Michael and All
Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, restored c1850 and 1899. Coursed and squared rubble, slate roofs, freestone
dressings, coped verges, cruciform finials. Nave, chancel, north and south porches, the latter now a vestry, west
tower. Decorated and Perpendicular. Two stage embattled west tower, diagonal buttresses to the bottom stage, slated
pyramidal roof with weathercock by Messrs. Thompson of Bridgwater of 1818, polygonal embattled stair-turret with
finial, 2-light bell-chamber windows with wooden grilles, clock with gilded Roman numerals to north, 3-light west
window, west doorway with depressed-arch head, ribbed and studded door. Three bay nave, two 2-light C14 windows to
south, a C13 2-light window and a C15 window to north; the latter in a slight projection, probably for a former rood
stair. Chancel with 2 broad lancets to south, cusped heads, priest's door; to north two C14 2-light windows with much
renewed tracery. Three-light east window of c1500 type, below it panels decorated with quatrefoils and shields, the
whole appears much restored. Gabled north porch, benched interior with flagstone floor, C13 doorway, C15 traceried
door. Gabled former south porch converted to a vestry 1899 when the doorway was blocked and a 2-light window inserted.
Interior plastered on flagstone floors, encaustic tile pavement to chancel. Moulded Perpendicular tower arch of 2
orders; mutilated moulded chancel arch. Nave under plastered wagon roof with thin ribs and ornamental wall plate,
C15/C16. Unceiled wagon roof to chancel, C15/C16 with C19 restoration and embellishment. Chancel windows with
rere-arches. Vestry with stone benches under unceiled wagon roof, C15/C16, wallplate with cable moulding; C15 door, C12
doorway. Medieval niche adjacent to south of chancel arch. Good C16 and C17 carved bench ends, one dated 1621, some
late C19 reproductions. Chest dated 1730. Late C19 stone pulpit, font with cover, rood screen, brass lectern and stone
reredos. Altar table dated 1621. Mid/late C19 organ. Six bells, 2 new in 1899, the remainder believed to be earlier.
Six windows with mid-C19 stained glass. Matrix of a former brass under floor. (Pevsner, N. Buildings of England, South
and Test Somerset, 1958; Church Guide, 1975).