© Mike Bedingfield LRPS
SUTTON MALLET CHURCH, CHURCH ROAD (west side)
STAWELL, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Mike Bedingfield LRPS
01 August 2001
29 March 1963
Date of last amendment:
29 March 1963
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
STAWELL CP CHURCH ROAD (West side)
ST33NE SUTTON MALLET
2/63 Sutton Mallet Church
Anglican church. 1829 by Richard Carver, the County architect and surveyor, on a medieval site incorporating some
reused C15 features. Coursed rubble, slate roofs, coped verges, slender 2-stage buttresses with offsets. Nave with
small south porch, small polygonal chancel, slender west tower. Gothic. Tower with moulded string below parapet,
parapet rises to form a 'pediment' to each face, deep buttresses to west, arch over, recessed 3-light Perpendicular
west window, 2-light Perpendicular bell-chamber windows. Three-bay nave, tall 2-light stone-mullioned windows, each
light with a 4-centred head, labels, diamond-paned leaded lights. Gabled ashlar south porch, slender buttresses,
4-centred head outer door opening, 4-centered head recess on each side. Chancel with cinquepartite roof, 3-light reused
Perpendicular window with label, diamond-paned leaded lights. Interior with coeval box pews, 2 decker pulpit, and font.
C17 altar rails re-used from the earlier church. Two C17 bells. (Church Guide, 1975; Pevsner, N. Buildings of England,
South and West Somerset, 1958).