© Michael Bass
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN ROAD (north side)
WESTONZOYLAND, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
01 November 2001
29 March 1963
Date of last amendment:
24 June 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
WESTONZOYLAND CP MAIN ROAD (North side)
5/87 Church of St Mary the Virgin
(formerly listed as Church of St
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, predoainantly C15, C16, restored late C19 and 1933-39 by the Caroe practice. Coursed
and squared rubble, freestone dressings, lead sheeting and slate roofs, coped verges, cruciform finials. Nave, chancel,
north and south aisles, north and south porches, north and south transepts, north vestry, west tower. Mainly
Perpendicular with Decorated chancel. Lofty tower of 4 stages, embattled parapet with quatrefoil arcading, set-back
buttresses connected diagonally across the angle, they terminate in pinnacles on the bell-chamber stage; lowest stage
blank on north and south sides, west face with large 4-light window and a door; on the stage above traceried 2-light
windows on 4 sides, flanking niches, canopies, some remains of statuary; similar treatment to the stage above.
Bell-stage with 3 transomed traceried windows set together on each face, flanking pinnacles; above square pinnacles
with pennants and intermediate pinnacles; polygonal stair-turret to north with battlements; gargoyles, clock to south.
Long 5-bay nave, embattled, gargoyles; clerestory 3-light windows with tracery, 4-centred heads. Four-bay aisles, to
south embattled, to north with plain parapet, 3-light traceried windows with pointed-arch heads; gargoyles, buttresses.
Embattled parapet continues over buttressed gabled south porch, niche with canopy to gable face, doorway with panelled
arch, paired C18 dog-gates with iron cresting. Buttressed south transept with initials:- "RB", (Richard Beere, Abbot of
Glastonbury 1499-1524), and emblem of a pelican on the buttresses; embattled parapet, traceried 3-light windows; at its
junction with the chancel an odd slender buttress which may be the evidence of a former central tower. North transept
with tall transomed 3-light north window; large attached chimney of C19. Small north porch, moulded inner and outer
door openings, C18 outer door with panelling. Two bay chancel, 2-light traceried Decorated windows, except a 3-light
Perpendicular window to south-west, priest's door to south, 4-light neo-Perpendicular east window; polygonal rood
stair, by Caroe. Small vestry, C13 with a big buttress to north and a lancet window, further later lancet to east.
Interior of south porch plastered, flagstone floor, restored C15 roof, angel corbels; restored traceried inner door
with latch mechanism by Caroe. Interior of church plastered on flagstone floors, inset with many C17, C18 and C19
memorials including matrix of a former brass. Six bay arcades, piers of 4-hollows section; panelled arches to transepts
with angel busts; panelled chancel and tower arches. Fan-vault under tower; nave under good roof, low pitch, big
tie-beams, short arched-braces, angel busts, kingposts, close tracery of 2 tiers to left and right, beam over rood
carved with initials:- "RB"; angel corbels. Panelled lean-to roofs to aisles, bosses, again on angel corbels. Panelled
roof to south transept. North transept with plastered wagon roof; C19 wagon roof to chancel. Vested figure of a priest
in north transept, C13, in niche with restored cusped head. Chancel windows with shafted rere arches. Hagioscope.
Piscinae to transepts. Good set of C15 bench ends, large tracery motifs, some poppy heads, one with initials:- "RB".
C14 font, C19 cover. Jacobean altar table; chest dated 1670. Victorian pews, pulpit and brass lectern. Much work by
Caroe including rood screen with loft, readers incorporating medieval work, benches, altar rails and altar tables.
Organ case probably also designed by Caroe, though the instrument itself is earlier. Six principal C19 wall monuments.
Majority of windows with plain leaded lights, iron saddle and stanchion bars. Some remains of medieval glass to north
and south transepts and to south-west window of the chancel. Six bells, 2 of C18. Early clock mechanism. Following the
Battle of Sedgemoor, July 6 1685, some 500 defeated rebels were imprisoned in the church for a short time. (Pevsner, N.
Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; SANHS Proceedings 29, 55; Church Guide, anon, undated; Photographs