© Mr John Chester
TUDOR HOUSE RESTAURANT, 15 FORE STREET (south side)
TAUNTON, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Mr John Chester
07 June 2006
04 June 1952
Date of last amendment:
04 July 1975
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1. FORE STREET
No 15 (Tudor-Tavern)
[Formerly listed as No 15
The Cottage at rear of
ST 2224 SE 11/253 4.6.52.
Taunton's famous "Ancient House", formerly Halliday's Shop. Said to have been
the town house of the Portmans. Overhanging 3 storey timbered front dated 1578
with initials TT and IT. Very high red tiled roof, the upper part of the gable
breaking forward above the 2nd floor oriel, and 2nd floor jettied also. Carved
bressumers and bargeboards with pendant, curved braces in studding. 8-light oriel
to 2nd floor. 1st floor has 9-light oriel with additional lights at sides making
a continuous 17-light window. All windows are mullioned and transomed and have
leaded lights. Beading and billet motifs to ground floor fascia over modern shop
fronts. Pointed stone arch to entry on left hand side, original wooden door.
Wrought iron ornamental bracket for bell. Behind the late C16 front survives a
late medieval hall with open trussed roof and arched braces. Interior is considerably
restored. A.M. The rear wing, previously listed as 'The Cottage', is part of
the same property. Probably originally the servants' quarters etc. Approached
through the arched entry at side of No 15 and along a picturesque narrow court.
2 storeys. Timber framed, with 1st floor jettied. Ground floor is now one long
room used as a bar: continuous mullioned window along one side, partly renewed.
Old fireplace opening. Both interior and exterior have been much restored. The
Cottage at rear is not A.M.
No 1A Billet Street, No 66 The County Hotel, the Brendon Bar and No "8¨ East Street,
form an important group with the listed buildings in Cheapside, Fore Street and the