© Mrs G Martine Allmey LRPS
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST,
ASHBRITTLE, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Mrs G Martine Allmey LRPS
10 September 1999
25 January 1956
Date of last amendment:
25 January 1956
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST02SE ASHBRITTLE CP
6/1 Church of St John the
Church. C15. North aisle, tower and chancel rebuilt, nave restored circa 1874.
Random rubble red sandstone with Ham stone dressings, tiled roofs circa 1970
over nave, late C19 over chancel. 3-bay nave with North aisle and Lady chapel,
the nave and chancel of earlier church, South porch, West tower. 3-stage tower,
crenellated parapet, offset buttresses, stair turret. South side chancel 2-light
windows flanking pointed arch doorway, large 6-light Perpendicular window divided
into two 3-light sub arches East of porch, elsewhere 3-light Perpendicular.
Annex on North aisle, rood loft stairs projection North aisle. Gabled C19 South
porch. Interior: rendered. 3-bay aisle, capitals with leaf bands, depressed
pointed arches. Pulpit painted stone crocketed decoration on 3-sided body
supported by a column, approached by stairs with handrail, imported from Barnstaple.
Windows in Lady chapel, late C19 unusual in that they include portraits of the
donors and dedicatees. The church restoration of 1874 was paid for by the
incumbent, Rev. Charles Penrose Quicke.