You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270107  

Print Page

© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 270107
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 05 April 2006
Date listed: 25 January 1956
Date of last amendment: 25 January 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST02SESTAWLEY CPKITTISFORD6/32Church of St Nicholas25.1.56

ST02SE STAWLEY CP KITTISFORD 6/32 Church of St Nicholas 25.1.56 GV II* Church. Circa 1500 mid C17 addition, restored 1875. Red sandstone random rubble, rendered tower, C19 tiled roofs. 3-bay nave with chapel continuing from South aisle, South porch, West tower, C17 North projection. 3-stage tower, crenellated parapet, setback buttresses without render, Tudor arch doorway with 3-light window above, reticulated like East window. South window 3-light square headed with Tudor arch heads. Gabled C19 porch giving access to West door of South aisle Annex on North side rated externally 1659 above blocked doorway with gothic survival 2-light trefoil headed, ovolo moulded windows. Interior: plastered. Major feature 2-bay wooden arcade, restored C19, with Tudor arches. Wide semi-circular entry into North projection with moulded arch. Priests door to North, piscina in South chapel and 2 brasses to Richard and Agnes Bluett, farmer died 1524, minus their epitaphs. Wooden pulpit dated 1616. Perpendicular pedestal font. C17 door. Roger Wood of Overtown, Kittisford in his will of 3 September 1657 left 200 pounds to build a new aisle in the church, hence the North annex. (Thorne, The History of Antiquities of the Villages of Somerset, 1950).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.