© Mr Michael Perry
SANDHILL PARK HOSPITAL, SANDHILL PARK
BISHOPS LYDEARD, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Mr Michael Perry
25 February 2004
04 May 1984
Date of last amendment:
04 May 1984
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST12NE BISHOP'S LYDEARD CP
7/57 Sandhill Park Hospital
Country house, now hospital. Circa 1720, portico and wings added circa 1815, altered late C19. Red sandstone ashlar
front with Ham stone dressings, Ham stone returns and flanking wings, quoin strips also distinguishing central
pedimented bay, hipped slate roof behind parapets brick stacks. Plan: 7 bay double pile block flanked by set back, 3
bay wings. 3 storeys, 2:3:2 bays, centre breaks forward, second floor 12 pane sash windows in lugged surrounds below
moulded cornice, first floor 12 pane sash windows with shouldered surrounds below the string course carried on console
blocks continued in pediment, central window with masque in keystone. Arched entrance centre, C19, double glazed doors,
set in paired column surround with coat of arms in spandrels approached by flight of 3 stepes and 3 bay colonnade of
paired Tuscan columns with paterae and triglyph frieze carrying shallow pediment with armorial bearings in the typanum.
Wooden boarded soffit, patterned pebble pavement in forecourt. 5 bay returns left and right latter with 3 bay canted
window carrying similar frieze to colonnade. Set back flanking 3 bay wings, sash windows in similar surrounds below
parapet. Interior: hall contains rococo plasterwork of circa 1750, front room left and room on right return late C19
plaster decoration. (Photographs in NMR).