You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270297  

Print Page



© Mr John Chester

IoE Number: 270297
Location: COTHELSTONE MANOR,
  COTHELSTONE, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Chester
Date Photographed: 29 June 2004
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST13SECOTHELSTONE CP3/86Cothelstone Manor25.2.55

ST13SE COTHELSTONE CP 3/86 Cothelstone Manor 25.2.55 GV II* Incorrectly marked on OS map as Cothelstone Farm formerly Manor House. Manor House. Mid C16, largely demolished 1646 and rebuilt 1855-6. Squared coursed red sandstone with white limestone dressings, tiled roof, coped gabled wings, ashlar stacks and large external stack on left return elevation. "U"-plan. 2 storeys, 1:2:1 bays; 5-light mullion windows to right of entrance in central block, 7-light in gabled wings groundfloor, string course, above paired 2-light mullions under hood moulds with blind niches in gable ends. Central block has pair of 3-light mullions projecting through the eaves with gabled tops carrying ball finials on the kneelers with coronets at apices similar to gabled wings. All the mullions are of the tripartite baluster type unique to Cothelstone. Groundfloor windows have oval leaded panes, those above are diamond shaped. Main block and inner return walls of wings have unusual tapering buttresses set on moulded plinths with carved design set on imposts. Similar reduced versions with ball finials and partially twisted shafts flank the 4-centred arch entrance surmounted by an elaborate coat of arms. Mid C19 internal porch with arched doorway to right. Rain water head inscribed EJE 1856. Interior: all appears to date from the mid C19. After the destruction of the Civil War only the left-hand wing and ground floor of the central block remained. The house was re-roofed and restored by E.J. Esdaile 1855-6. (B. Stawell, History of a Quantock Family, 1910; Country Life, Jan 11, 1908, SANHS Proceedings, vol 44, 1898, vol 54, 1908; photographs NMR).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.