You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270311  

Print Page



© Mr Trevor Short

IoE Number: 270311
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, CHURCH ROAD (east side)
  FITZHEAD, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Trevor Short
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 25 January 1956
Date of last amendment: 25 January 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST12NWFITZHEAD CPCHURCH ROAD (EAST SIDE)3/100Church of St James the Great(formerly listed as Church of StJames)

ST12NW FITZHEAD CP CHURCH ROAD (EAST SIDE) 3/100 Church of St James the Great (formerly listed as Church of St James) 25.1.56 GV II* Parish church. C15 tower restored 1883, nave and chancel rebuilt 1849, heated vestry added 1863, North aisle added 1887, Red sandstone, Ham stone dressing, tiled roofs. Three bay Nave with North aisle, extended East for vestry, West tower. Three stage crenellated tower with diagonal buttresses, 4 centred arch doorway, late C19 double doors, square headed hoodmould with leaf decoration in the spandrels, late C19, 3-light Perpendicular window directly above 2-light bell openings with Somerset tracery, square, crenellated stair turret in South-east corner. Entrance to Church through West door. 2- and 3- and 4-light Perpendicular windows with lancet to East of chancel door. Interior: rendered. The main feature of the church is the very fine late C15 rood screen, partially restored. The unusual large central opening was made in 1849 when the screen was placed at the West end of the Church and benches added. It was restored to the chancel arch circa 1908. Standard Perpendicular piers. Mid C19 font, stone pulpit, and bench pews. Thirteen medieval sculptured faces at West end, taken from earlier church? (Jeboult, West Somerset, 1893; photographs in NMR).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.