You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270391  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 270391
Location: PYLEIGH MANOR,
  LYDEARD ST LAWRENCE, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 04 May 1984
Date of last amendment: 04 May 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST13SWLYDEARD ST LAWRENCE CPPYLEIGH2/180Pyleigh Manor

ST13SW LYDEARD ST LAWRENCE CP PYLEIGH 2/180 Pyleigh Manor - GV II* Incorrectly shown on OS map as Pyleigh Farm. Farmhouse. C16, altered C17, dated 1641 and 1828. Roughcast over random rubble, plain tile roof, red sandstone stacks at gable ends and to left of cross passage, large external stack North wing gable end. 3 cell and cross passage plan lying East West with kitchen added on North front. South front: 2-storeys, irregular fenestration, first floor centre two 4-light casements, outer bays, 3-light, groundfloor outer bays early C20 4-light ovolo moulded mullions copying earlier windows surviving elsewhere in the house, 4-light casement to left of early C20 half timbered porch with brick infill, lean-to roof, concrete semi-circular steps approached 4-centred arch doorway with moulded jambs. Date plaque above door inscribed 1641/ RHHI (Robert and Jane Harris)/1828/RWESQ (Robert Winter Esq) with Imperial Fire Insurance Co. plaque above. Interior: fine moulded 9-panel compartment ceiling to right of fine stud and panel partition, imported late C19 stained glass panel in inserted corridor giving acess to 2 rooms left which have chamfered beams with stops, likewise kitchen with chamfered bressumer across North end, arched heads incised left and right of fireplace. Upstairs 4-centred arch stone fireplaces with moulded jambs. Roof reputedly dates from early C19. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, January 1980).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.