You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270512  

Print Page



© Mrs Gillian Reed

IoE Number: 270512
Location: MANOR HOUSE, BISHOPS HULL HILL (north side)
  BISHOPS HULL, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mrs Gillian Reed
Date Photographed: 16 November 2002
Date listed: 02 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 02 February 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST2024BISHOP'S HULL CPBISHOP'S HULL HILL (North side)13/5Manor House2.2.55

ST2024 BISHOP'S HULL CP BISHOP'S HULL HILL (North side) 13/5 Manor House 2.2.55 GV II* Manor house. Dated 1586, mid C19 addition and internal alterations, restored 1901. Roughcast over rubble, quoins, chamfered plinth, coped verges, slate roofs, stone stacks rising on right return, brick stacks gable ends. E-plan facing South with small C19 addition on West front, a long service wing in North East corner. Two and a half storeys, symmetrical front, ovolo moulded mullions, gabled central 4 storey porch, coped verges, kneelers, 3-light mullioned windows under hood moulds, gabled 3-light dormers flanking porch with 4-light mullioned and transomed windows below, all with hoodmoulds, two 3-light mullioned and transomed windows in re-entrant angles, gable ends lit by paired lights under single hoodmoulds. Entrance through semi-circular moulded opening in ashlar Has stone porch, fluted Ionic columns on low plinths with dentil moulded cornice and date 1586 in keystone of arch. Above square plaque with scalloped frame containing the coat of arms of George Farewell. Plastered ceiling, round headed arch opening, moulded jambs, decorative spandrels and outstanding early C17 door. Single storey, irregularly shaped, top lit C19 addition on West front with 3-light Tudor arch headed casements and C19 door; long East front with two gabled dormers, stone stacks rising between and C17 style moulded door; long brick service wing to North with some early C19 leaded iron casements. Interior: extensively altered C19 and early/mid C20, and contains few original features apart from a couple of small fireplaces, some plasterwork details in first floor room, and original roof, an unusual combination of tie beams and arch braced rafters. C19 ribbed plaster ceilings in billiard room. C16 extension and in another room panelling imported C19, plank and muntin screen with painted arch doorway imported mid C20. Externally the building appears much as it was when built with a very fine door and some of the earliest ovolo moulded mullioned windows in the West Country. In poor condition at time of survey (March 1984). (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, May 1981; SANHS Proceedings, Vol 50, 1912).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.