You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270515  

Print Page



© Mr C A Rimmer

IoE Number: 270515
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, BISHOPS HULL ROAD (east side)
  BISHOPS HULL, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr C A Rimmer
Date Photographed: 16 October 1999
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST2024BISHOP'S HULL CPBISHOP'S HULL ROAD (East side13/8Church of St Peter and St Paul25.2.55

ST2024 BISHOP'S HULL CP BISHOP'S HULL ROAD (East side 13/8 Church of St Peter and St Paul 25.2.55 GV II* Parish church. C13 lower stage of tower, upper C14, 1536 chancel and chapel, 1827-8 nave enlarged one bay beyond South aisle, arcade of latter removed, West end rebuilt, mid C20 West gallery added, West end windows renewed and lateral stack with boilerhouse added on South front. Early C19 work by Richard Carver. Roughcast West and South fronts, others blue lias and red sandstone random rubble with some brick, Ham stone dressings, asbestos slate roof to chancel, other roofs Welsh slate, coped verges. Plan: North tower, 2 bay North-East chapel, chancel, South-East chapel, long 2 bay nave, 3 bays wide, West porch, North-West vestry. 4 stage crenellated tower, square base broached to an octagon on upper 3 stages, string courses, 2-light bell openings, lancet, all with Somerset tracery, pointed arch North doorway with continuous double chamfer: right, single storey vestry, diagonal; butttress, reset C13 2-light West window, external stairs to West end gallery door. Gabled West front, diagonal buttresses, lancet in gable end, 4-light Tudor head window flanked by similar 2-light windows, single storey 3 bay porch with pointed arch openings, inner door left C19 Tudor arched head, chamfered, panelled double door; right reset moulded 4-centred arch doorway with ribbed and studded door, possibly C18, South front disfigured by tall C20 roughcast stack with single storey brick boilerhouse, two 3-light windows, sundial between, South front of chapel 3-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window, diagonal buttress to South chapel, 3-light East window, diagonal buttress to chancel 12 lght cinquefoil headed South window, 3-light East window, to right blue lias tablet to Mary, wife of the Rev. Farmham Haskell, died 1770. North chapel 3-light East window, North front of chapel 3 and 2-light cinquefoil headed mullioned windows, tower abutting right. Interior: rendered. Long 2 bays nave without arcades, Perpendicular arches between South chapel and chancel, chancel arch and arch between South chapel and nave dying into imposts, 2 arches to North chapel with angel capitals, tower arch blocked, entry via vestry door with blocked 2 centred arch above, perhaps entry to earlier gallery. Plastered cambered nave roof, ribbed wagon roofs with bosses to chapels, chancel restored ribbed wagon roof with bosses and will-plate. Aumbry in North chapel, 4 pieces of carved stone set against East Wall, one said to be dated, perhaps from demolished arcade. 2-light clerestory window made from rood loft opening in North wall, C20 panelled oak West end gallery carried on square columns, Royal Coat of Arms attached. Fine collection of C16 bench ends. including 6 set against wall in North chapel, majority of seating early C19 box pews. Impressive alabaster monument in chancel to George Farewell, died 1616, reclining figure with wife below in bas-relief flanked by 5 daughters and 3 sons, traces of colour, segmental head of niche split. Two good C17 wall tablets reset on South wall of nave, to George Farwell died 1647, and to his daughter Mary Brune, with pendant niche containg 3 children stacked one on top of the other. Pulpit composed of reset panelling, probably constructed early C19. The chancel walls are in poor condition due to subsidence. the chancel having been constructed without foundations. Until 1885 the parish was considerabley larger and this was the most fashionable church in Taunton during the first half of the C19. (Photographs in NMR Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958; SANHS proceedings, vol 5B, 1912),

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.