You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270523  

Print Page



© Mrs Gillian Reed

IoE Number: 270523
Location: CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, BISHOPS HULL ROAD
  BISHOPS HULL, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mrs Gillian Reed
Date Photographed: 27 June 2002
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 17 May 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST2024BISHOP'S HULL CPBISHOP'S HULL ROAD (West side)13/14United Reformed Church andadjoining Hall to North

ST2024 BISHOP'S HULL CP BISHOP'S HULL ROAD (West side) 13/14 United Reformed Church and adjoining Hall to North (formerly listed as Congregational Chapel) 25.2.55 GV II Congregational chapel and schoolroom, now United Reform Church and hall. Late Cl8, reroofed 1874, gallery added 1883 and hall enlarged. Gable end onto road, flanked by single storey porches North and South, adjoining schoolroom set back at South West corner. Rendered over rubble, slate roof, gable end onto road,coped verges, string course forming pediment cut by apex of East window, quoins, rusticated base with upper course swept up to base of East window, 4-light ogee headed with trefoil cusping and rusticated surround, 2 bay returns, entrance through flat- roofed, single storey porches with panelled double doors and sidelights; South porch possibly earlier with ogee headed side- light while North has pointed arch. 2 storey, 5 bay hall adjoining with C20 fenestration. Interior: late C19 fittings, cast iron columns carry East end gallery with wrought iron hand rail and wooden panels. Collection of late C18 and early C19 wooden tablets painted black and white to resemble marble and slate, the material of which the mid - late C19 tablets are composed. The body of the church may date from as early as 1718. (SANHS Proceedings, Vol 58, 1912; Photograph in NMR),

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.