You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270549  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 270549
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY,
  CHEDDON FITZPAINE, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 24 November 2002
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST22NWCHEDDON FITZPAINE CPCHEDOON FITZPAINE VILLAGE5/40Church of St Mary25.2.55

ST22NW CHEDDON FITZPAINE CP CHEDOON FITZPAINE VILLAGE 5/40 Church of St Mary 25.2.55 GV II* Parish church. Late C13 tower, late C15-early C16 nave enlarged, porch and South aisle added, chancel rebuilt, 1861 church restored and North aisle added by Edward Jeboult. Red sandstone and blue lias random rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs scalloped slates to chancel, decorative ridge tiles to nave, coped verges. West tower, 3 bays nave, chancel, 3 bay South aisle, 3 bay North aisle with organ chamber, South porch. 3 stage unbuttressed tower, C19 parapet pierced with trefoil headed openings, gargoyles, 3-light trefoil headed bell openings, C20 Somerset style tracery, string course, leaded lancet, C19 pointed arched West door, corrugated iron shed attached right to South West end of nave, South aisle parapet pierced with quatrefoils decorated with shields bearing the arms of the Percy family, amusing gargoyles, 2-light West window, diagonal buttresses, 2-light window left and 3-light right of single storey gable porch, moulded semi-circular arched opening said to be reset from South aisle, C19 compartment ceiling, pair of C19 noticeboards, crenellated with 2 bay cusped arcades, painted and gilded, 4 centred arch inner doorframe, C15 ribbed and studded door said to have been rebacked 1722, 2-light East window to South aisle, bulge at junction with nave, perhaps indicating ealier rood loft stair, chancel 2-light windows flanking priest's door, diagonal buttresses to chancel, 3-light East window, 2-light on North front, 2 light to organ chamber, North door, uncrenallated North aisle, two 2-light and one 3-light window, stepped buttresses, 2-light West window. Interior, rendered. 3 bay Perpendicular arcade with angle capitals to South aisle, C19 North aisle with foliage capitals, East wall of South aisle 3 inset chamfered openings with door. Narrow pointed tower arch, C20 Gothic glazed screen, out of aligment with Perpendicular 4-centred chancel arch, West wall squint. Chancel C19 ribbed barrel vault roof, C19 monopitch compartment ceiling to aisles, restored ribbed wagon roof to nave. Fine collection of C16 bench ends, nearly all with bay leaf wrapped surrounds, later one inscribed EG.SG 1660. Perpendicular Ham stone pulpit on waisted baluster with steps. Piscina in South aisle, shelf on East pillar of South aisle. Two C19 painted tin sheets detailing local charities of 1710 and 1672. Circa 1950 oak screen enclosing West bay of North aisle to ford vestry. No monuments of note. Mid C15-mid C16 the manor and advowson was held by the Percys, Dukes of Northumberland, and much of the church was built by them; a fact commemorated by their arms and insignia decorating the fabric and bench ends. (Kelly's Directory, 1897)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.