You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270566  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 270566
Location: PYRLAND HALL,
  CHEDDON FITZPAINE, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 05 December 2002
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST22NW CHEDDON FITZPAINE CP PYRLAND5/57 Pyrland Hall25.2.55

ST22NW CHEDDON FITZPAINE CP PYRLAND 5/57 Pyrland Hall 25.2.55 II* Country house, now boys preparatory school. Circa 1760 for Sir William Yea. Render grooved as ashlar over brick, Bath stone dressings, brick service courtyard at rear, hipped slate roofs behind parapet, cavetto moulded cornice, flat band string course, cyma recta moulded cornice to wings. Main block with projecting single storeys one room wings linked by Ionic colonnade, service courtyard at rear. Neo-Classical style. 3 storeys, 5 bays, centre 3 break forward slightly single bay, single storey projecting wings, second floor 4-pane sash windows centre, tripartite in outer bays, first floor similar but sash windows without glazing bars, ground floor windows renewed C20, tripartile sash windows in outer bays, 9-bay Ionic, Bath stone colonnade with dentil cornice and boarded soffit fronting 4 and 2-light mullioned and transomed windows flanking central half glazed double door. Interior: hall, Ionic screen, dado and good plasterwork cornices, imperial plan stick stair with cut string and inlaid mahogany handrail, plasterwork decoration to soffits in Greek style, Venetian window on landing and decorative plasterwork to circular skylight; notable number of original panelled doors, except those to headmaster's study and library in entrance hall; Adam-style plasterwork in wings, right hand wing contains good marble chimney piece. The Yea estates were sold 1911 and the building was sympathetically converted to school use circa 1953. (AJ Monday, The History of the Family of Yea, 1885).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.