You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270573  

Print Page

© Mr Mick Humphreys LRPS

IoE Number: 270573
Location: FIVE ARCH BRIDGE AT NGR ST 2695 2533,
Photographer: Mr Mick Humphreys LRPS
Date Photographed: 03 August 1999
Date listed: 17 May 1985
Date of last amendment: 17 May 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST22NECREECH ST MICHAEL CP6/63Five Arch Bridge atNGR ST 2695 2533

ST22NE CREECH ST MICHAEL CP 6/63 Five Arch Bridge at NGR ST 2695 2533 II Railway bridge over River Tone, now disused. 1863. Company Engineer Francis Fox. Squared and irregularly coursed punched lias, Bath stone dressings. Plan: 5 arch span bridge. Shallow arches, rusticated archivolts, piers resting on boat-shaped pontoons in river, raking abutments, regular projections above water Level on the piers, broken off in some places, flat string course and flat coping, both of Bath stone. Coping partly missing on East side, both ends of bridge obsured by ivy at time of survey (April 1984). The outer arches of the bridge span the bank, presumably becaused of the later embankment of the river. The bridge carried the branch line of the Bristol and Exeter Railway Company to Chard. It closed in 1962.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.