You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270603  

Print Page



© Mr Mick Humphreys LRPS

IoE Number: 270603
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN,
  DURSTON, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Mick Humphreys LRPS
Date Photographed: 06 August 1999
Date listed: 25 February 1985
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST22NEDURSTON CPDURSTON VILLAGE6/92 Church of St John

ST22NE DURSTON CP DURSTON VILLAGE 6/92 Church of St John 25.2.55 GV II Parish church. Rebuilt 1853 in Early English style having been enlarged in 1815, tower restored 1897, Lias random rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. 3 bay nave, transepts, chancel, West tower, South porch. 3 stage crenellated tower with finials, set back buttresses rising to string courses, 3-light trefoil bell opening West face, trefoil headed lancet, 3-light West window above moulded test door, crenellated North East stair turret, 2-light windows flanking gabled porch with collar beam roof, moulded surrounds, C19 double doors, stepped buttresses to transept, 3-light South window, 2-light South window to buttressed chancel, 3-light East window, 2-light on North front, 3-light to vestry to right roof door, three 2-light windows to nave, Interior: ashlar faced. 4-centred tower arch with trefoil headed panelled screen, C19 chancel arch, unmoulded jambs, moulded archivault, Cl9 archbraced roofs, carried on foliage corbels, compartment ceilings in transepts. Mid C19 fittings, pulpit entered from door in West wall of vestry. Memorial tablet in grey and white marble with draped urn on South wall of tower to Thomas Grey died 1820 by R. Blore of Piccadilly; Thomas Grey paid for the restoration of the church in 1815, Altar table with baluster legs said to be dated 1635, appears late C19, (Photograph, NMR; Kelly's Directory, 1897; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.