You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270606  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 270606
Location: LODGE FARMHOUSE,
  DURSTON, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST22NEDURSTON CPDURSTON VILLAGE6/95Lodge Farmhouse25.2.55

ST22NE DURSTON CP DURSTON VILLAGE 6/95 Lodge Farmhouse 25.2.55 GV II* Farmhouse, possibly ecclesiastical residence. C15, altered C16 and mid Cl9. Lias random rubble and Ham stone dressings, slate roof, coped verges, kneelers, large external C19 stack with octagonal chimney on left return of porch, another external stack on crosswing left and right gable end and centre right. Plan: open hall with solar over service end, now 3-cell and cross passage with full height porch. One and half storeys, 1:1:2 bays gable fronted end bay left, gabled full height porch and two gabled dormers right, Perpendicular cinquefoil headed 2-light mullioned and transomed window left, trefoil headed 2-light window to porch both with cavetto moulded mullions, C19 stone mullions right, ground floor C19 4-light square headed mullioned and transept window left moulded 4-centred arch openings to porch and 2 bays right, latter filled with C19 3-light casements and entrance with square headed door, light above. Interior: altered mid C19 but said to contain original C15 smoke blackened wagon roof composed of 31 trusses set less than 250m apart with every fifth truss chamfered. This is reputed to be the only known stoke blackened wagon roof in Somerset. It is thought that the building was connected with the Preceptory and Priory of Buckland sited at Lower Durston, dissolved at the Reformation. (VAB Report, unpublished SRO, March 1983).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.