You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270616  

Print Page

No Image Available

IoE Number: 270616
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST23SWKINGSTON ST MARY CP1/105Tetton House and terrace togarden on South front25.2.55

ST23SW KINGSTON ST MARY CP 1/105 Tetton House and terrace to garden on South front 25.2.55 GV II* Country house. Circa 1790 enlarged and mainly rebuilt 1924-6 by H.S Goodhart-Rendel for H M Herbert. Rendered over rubble, stone roof behind shaped parapets, brick stack. Plan: entrance on East front through Georgian house enlarged around courtyard with colonnaded South front, West front with semicircular bays. Regency Classical style. West front, the most original 2 storeys with attic and semi-basement in left bay, outer bays with dentil moulded cornices and thermal windows flanking hansard roof with 6 semicirular headed dormer windows, first floor full height outer semicircular bays with parapet, swept up at centre, three 12-pane sash windows in outer bays, circular windows flanking lead roofed 3-light bay with half draped caryatids, ground floor 15-pane sash windows right bay, left 9-pane sash windows above semi-basement, centre lead roofed semicircular bay with paired pilasters and tripartite sash windows, sash window and small window left, French window right. South front of 9 bays with pedimented centre and single storey colonnade of fluted Doric columns, entrance on East front through pedimented porch, 6-panel raised and fielded door with side lights. Interior: austere manipulation of Palladian detailing in courtyard, dramatic ashiar fronted stair hall with deeply recessed soffits, 2 fine imported C18 marble fireplaces in South front rooms, now one rood, classical plasterwork details in library on West front. (Photograph in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.