You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270629  

Print Page

© Mr Terry Abbiss

IoE Number: 270629
Photographer: Mr Terry Abbiss
Date Photographed: 11 June 2004
Date listed: 17 May 1985
Date of last amendment: 17 May 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST2229KINGSTON ST MARY CPKINGSTON ST MARY VILLAGE12/118The Grange and East boundary wall

ST2229 KINGSTON ST MARY CP KINGSTON ST MARY VILLAGE 12/118 The Grange and East boundary wall GV II House, now old people's home. Circa 1862, possibley incorporating part of earlier dwelling, altered late C20. By Sir George Gilbert Scott for Mr Steele Perkins. dressed Ham Stone with red sandstone for polychrome decortation in relieving arches, patterned asbestos rood to garden front plain clay tiles on entrance front, overhanging eaves with sprokets, coped verges, external stepped stacks. 'T'-plan with tower at juncton on entrance front. Long garden front (South): 2 and a half storey gabled bay left, large lateral Stack, 2 bays right, large external stepped stack on right return, recessed lower 2 storey wing with 2 gabled dormers; first floor 2-, 3-, and 4--light mullioned windows under polychrome relieving arches, ground floor end left 5-light mullioned window with 2 centred arch heads, flat roofed 5-light mullioned bay with pilasters carring frieze insert with coloured C19 tiles, pointed arch doorway in recessed wing with stairlight and canted 2-light bay right. Attached 2-bay flat roofed ashlar conservatory in the classical style with 4 bay return. Entrance forecourt catslide roof over 5 bay wooden verandah left, central 3-stage tower with pyramid roof, some C20 fenestration and some original many-paned-lights, 2 storeys to right fronted by single storey many bay glazed loggia with trefoil headed bays on random rubble plinth, West front altered, C20 additions not included. Boundary wall abutting East gable end running for about 205m terminating with moulded depressed 4 centred arch doorway at Southern end. Red sandstone random rubble wall, about 1.5m high, irregular coping. The doorway is possibley C15 but the stops and plinth of the jambs are C19. The house is said to incorporate materials from the demolished church of St Mary Magdalene, Taunton (QV), rebuilt in replica by B. Ferrey and Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1862. an external inspection of the building did not reveal and medieval elements, apart perhaps from the aforementioned doorway. the house became an old people's home in the l970's (1.S Gale, The Parish Church of Kingston St Mary, 1927).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.