You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270637  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 270637
Location: THE MANOR HOUSE, LODES LANE (west side)
  KINGSTON ST MARY, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST2229 KINGSTON ST MARY CP LODES LANE (West side)12/126 The Manor House25.2.55

ST2229 KINGSTON ST MARY CP LODES LANE (West side) 12/126 The Manor House 25.2.55 GV II* Manor house. Circa 1560, alteration dated 1702, extension on North front dated 1869, restored 1924. Red sandstone with Hma stone dressing, string course, quios, wooden cornice, steeply pitched state roof, partly covered with bitumen, coped verges and kneelers, trick stacks East gable end, South West gable end, and set back from junction with wing. 'L' plan, possibly original open hall with solar wing, now 3 cell and cross passage, dog-leg stair and parlour added on North front early C18, further additions to service area on North front 1869. South front: 2 storeys and attic, 2:3:1:2 bays, cross wing left, full height hipped roof porth third bay right, two hipped dormers flanking porch, 6 balls eye openings, left gable end, one below eaves end by left if block with 2-light depressed Tudor arch window below, 12-pace sash winnows first floor with 4-pane sash windows in gabled end, ground floor left window altered, paired 12-pane sash windows flanking porch with keystone cutting string course small square basement light end bay left, bolection moulded Ham stone doorcase inscribed Mary and Thomas Knight 1702; left, glazed double doors with diamond-paned light above, South East wall of wing 2 bays with 2 tiers of cruciform windows built with blocked lower iights, architrave running continuously to form label below first floor and bulls eye windows to basement, moulded lintels to ground floor windows which have many paned casements. Interior partially sighted; early C18 dog-leg stair with turned balusters, moulded rail. ornamentally carved string and panelled dado, early C18 raised and fielded panelling to parlour right of cross passage, plasterwork to stair ceiling and back parlour. The house was originally known as Lodes and was probably built for Robert Knight whose descendants subsequently altered it. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset 1956; SANHS Proceedings, Vol 83, 1939).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.