You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270655  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 270655
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS,
  NORTON FITZWARREN, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 14 November 2002
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST12NE NORTON FITZWARREN CPNORTH FITZWARREN VILLAGE4/147 Church of All Saints

ST12NE NORTON FITZWARREN CP NORTH FITZWARREN VILLAGE 4/147 Church of All Saints 25.2.55 GV II* Parish church. North aisle circa 1300, tower late C13-early C14, church restored 1851-2, porch and chancel rebuilt and vestry added 1866, Squared and coursed sandstone, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, patterned on vestry, coped verges. West tower, 3 bay nave, 3 bay North aisle, South porch, North East vestry, chancel. Crenellated 3 stage tower, set back buttresses, string course with gargoyles, deep plinth, 2-light mullioned and transomed louvred bell openings, clock and empty canopied niche on South nave, pointed mulded arch West door with C19 door, crenellated North East stairturrent; South face of nave one 2-light window left and 2 right of Cl9 single storey gabled porch with setback buttresses, moulded arched entrance, C19 ribbed door, 2-light windows on returns, stepped buttresses to chancel, lancet left and 2-light window right of priest's door, 3-light East window, 3-light vestry East window, short circular chimney, paired lancets on North front, North aisle decorative pierced parapet, three 2-light windows between stepped buttresses, 3-light Test window. Interior: rendered. Pointed C19 chancel arch, tower arch chamfered in 3 orders dying into imposts closed by C20 part glazed screen. North aisle arcade of octagonal piers with double chamfered arches, Good ribbed and cambered roof to North aisle, Cl9 archbraced roof to nave, C19 scissor truss to chancel. Very handsome 3:5 bay rood screen with double doors, the name of Ralph Harris, Churchwarden; (who died 1509) carved upon it: rood group above 1896. Finely carved alabaster and black slate wall tablet with gilded lettering, swags and drops with console, to Jacob Prowse died 1672 inscribed with 13 lines in latin from Homer's Iliad. 3 hatchments including late one to Sir John Slade of Monty's Court (qv) who died 1859. C20 carved pulpit. C19 brass chandeliers with glass mantels. Tower contains collection of bell ringing achievements, 1900-14. C19 stained glass, East window dated 185S. Octagonal font. Some C16 bench ends. The South Test corner of the churchyard is said to have been a burying ground for gypsies. (Photographs in NMR: Kelly's Directory, 1897; Buildings of England Buildings of South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.