You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270820  

Print Page



© Mr Mick Humphreys LRPS

IoE Number: 270820
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH ROAD (east side)
  NORTH CURRY, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Mick Humphreys LRPS
Date Photographed: 10 August 1999
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NORTH CURRY CPCHURCH ROAD (North side)ST312510/36Church of Saint Peter and St Paul25.2.55GVI

NORTH CURRY CP CHURCH ROAD (North side) ST3125 10/36 Church of Saint Peter and St Paul 25.2.55 GV I Parish church. Norman in origin, c1300 lower stages of tower, transepts and nave, C14 upper stage of tower, 1502 chancel rebuilt, porch added and walls of clerestory raised, minor restoration including parapet to tower 1832 by Richard Carver, 1881-2 north aisle wall and door taken down and re-built, render removed, vestry added, by John Oldrid Scott, parapets partly renewed and chancel reroofed 1967-8. Tower local grey sandstone, rest blue lias squared and coursed with some rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs behind pierced quatrefoil parapets, crenellated aisles and blind trefoil headed arcade to south transepts, chancel and north-east vestry. Buttressed west end, 3-light windows to aisles flanking 5-light west window, moulded arched west door, south aisle two 3-light windows left and one right of single storey, diagonally buttressed porch, quatrefoil pierced parapet, gargoyles, 3 crocketed niches containing late C19 figures by Harry Hems, deeply moulded surround to pointed arch opening, fan vaulted stone roof with pendant, moulded 4-centred arch doorway, C19 door with good decorative hinges, remains of 4-centred arch recess and pillar for holy water stoup; setback buttresses to south transept, 5-light window, crocketed niche left, 4-light window on east front, stair turret set in angle, arched doorway, lancet above two 4-light windows to chancel, set back buttresses to east end, 5-light window, 2-light to vestry, two 2-light on north front, door in south-west corner, 4-light window to chancel and to east face of north transept, 5-light north front, three 3-light to north aisle, buttresses between and resited Norman doorway; octagonal one stage tower with crude pierced parapet, 2-light louvred bell-openings, cusped mullions and transoms, panel pilasters with gargoyles between, clock on south front. Interior: exposed squared and coursed blue lias. Four bay moulded arched arcades without capitals, banded blocks of Has, local sandstone and lias, remains of blocked ogee-headed 2-light clearstorey window, three 3-light windows to clearstorey, crossing arches chamfered in three orders, black marble linked bell capitals to chancel arch, stone seats to nave arch piers. Late C19 roofs, cambered compartment ceiling to north aisle, corbelled collar beam roof with arched struts to chancel, wooden fanvault to tower. Cinquefoil headed piscina in north transept, south transept chamfered 4-centre arch doorway to rood stair, similar opening above. C19 pews. 1920s-1930s linenfold panelling with decorative carved cornice to chancel, finely carved altar rails, reredos by Bligh Bond. Brass lectern presented 1888 by the Barrett family of Noredon who paid for much of the Scott restoration. 1882 stone pulpit. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass by Burlesson and Grylls, and Heaton, Butler and Baine. C12 wooden coffer. Brass chandelier dated 1809 and signed by Wescott of Bristol. Monumental effigy of a franklin on a later chest, said to be inscribed "Toma atte Sloo" on the fold of the cote, and thought to be c1360. Cadaver effigy on well preserved Perpendicular chest tomb, not coeval. Slate slab to Robert Hooper died 1720. Brass to Elizabeth Butler died 1588. Restored Perpendicular Hall stone font with painted late C19 canopy. Painting on canvas of King David, or Saul, playing a harp with 2 angels nearby, painted egg and dart surround. (Photograph in NMR; 0livey, North Curry, 1901 Pevsner Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; SANHS Proceedings, vol 68, 1922; Illustrated in Collinson, History of Somerset, vol 3, 1791).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.