You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270877  

Print Page



© Mr Eddy Allen

IoE Number: 270877
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL,
  ORCHARD PORTMAN, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Eddy Allen
Date Photographed: 29 September 2002
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ORCHARD PORTMAN CPST22SWORCHARD PORTMAN VILLAGE4/93Church of St Michael

ORCHARD PORTMAN CP ST22SW ORCHARD PORTMAN VILLAGE 4/93 Church of St Michael 25.2.55 GV II* Parish church. Norman, chancel rebuilt early C15, Portman chapel erected as south aisle c1450, tower rebuilt c1540, Portman chapel demolished 1844 and rebuilt 1910 when south porch resited as north porch, vestry and organ bay added. Roughcast over lias, slate roof, coped verges. Plan: chancel, north east vestry and organ bay, 3-bay nave, south chapel, north porch now blocked, entrance via west tower. Crenellated 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses, string courses, 2-light louvred bell-openings, 2-light below on south front, 3-light west window, pointed moulded arch doorway, C19 door, square stair turret uncrenellated with remains of crocketed finials on first stage; north front 3-light window left of gabled projecting Portman chapel, diagonal buttresses, 3-light window, door on east return, to right 3-light windows flanking buttress, priest's door, trefoil headed lancet to sanctuary, diagonal buttresses to east end with fleur-de-lys ties (the emblem of the Portman family), 3-light east window, single storey vestry with lancet, door on west front, 2-light window, buttress, 3-light mullioned windows flanking gabled, single storey porch, moulded semi-circular headed opening with hoodmould, blocked with inserted lancet. Interior: plastered, exposed rubble in tower. Ribbed wagon roof to chancel plastered barrel vault with moulded wall plates, shallow pitched moulded compartment ceiling to Portman chapel dated 1910. No chancel arch, pointed tower arch chamfered in 2 orders flanked by corbelled pilasters, chamfered pointed arch doorway to stair turret. Restored Norman doorway on north front, chevron moulding. Circular font in porch. Portman chapel pannelled with wrought-iron sconces and brass plaque with details of members of the family buried in the vault below nave. Brass to Henry Cole died 1633. Jacobean-style hexagonal pulpit. Late medieval stained glass, upper lights of window set in north wall, showing 4 evangelists; late C19 and early C20 stained glass including east window and Portman chapel window both signed by Arthur J Dix and dated 1911 and 1910 respectively. The earlier Portman chapel was demolished at the same time as Orchard Portman House which stood north-west of the church, illustrated by Kip in Britannia Illustrata, 1707. (Kelly's Directory, 1914; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.