You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270881  

Print Page



© Mr Eddy Allen

IoE Number: 270881
Location: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS,
  ORCHARD PORTMAN, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Eddy Allen
Date Photographed: 29 September 2002
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ORCHARD PORTMAN CPST22SETHURLBEAR5/95Church of St Thomas

ORCHARD PORTMAN CP ST22SE THURLBEAR 5/95 Church of St Thomas 25.2.55 GV I Parish church. C12, C14 chancel rebuilt, C15 tower built and church refenestrated, chancel refenestrated and north chapel demolished c1850, 1856 tower restored. 1861 church restored and refitted, north aisle arcade taken down and restored. Roughcast over rubble, squared and coursed blue lias tower, Ham stone dressings, nave, chancel and aisles all under same slate roof, coped verges. Plan: chancel, 4-bay nave, narrow north and south aisles, south porch, west tower. Crenellated 3-stage tower, diagonal buttreses west end, setback buttresses east end, string courses, gargoyles, 2-light louvred bell openings, cinquefoil headed window below, Perpendicular mullioned and transomed 4-light west window, moulded pointed arch west doorway, C19 door, north east stair turret; south front 2-light windows flanking single storey gabled porch, pointed arch opening, plaster board with applied half-timbering to interior, moulded arch inner doorway, C19 door; south front of chancel lancets flanking blocked Tudor arch doorway, diagonal buttresses to east end, 3 lancet windows, lancets to north front flanking engaged semi-circular pillar, three 2-light windows to north aisle between stepped buttresses, blocked moulded pointed arch opening. Interior: rendered. Plastered barrel vault to nave, monopitch roofs to aisles, ribbed roof to chancel. Four bay arcade of C12 circular piers with scalloped capitals. C19 wooden chancel arch carried on angel corbels, squint in sout east wall, moulded semi-circular tower arch. Blocked ogee-head opening to rood stair at east end of north aisle, three quarters of blocked Tudor arch opening in north aisle. Norman circular font. C19 fittings, including Romanesque style arcaded panelling to choir stalls and screen to tower. Pulpit. No monuments of note. The engaged column on the exterior of the chancel belongs to a chapel or transept that was demolished in the mid C19. (Sixsmith, A History of Thurlbear, 1956; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.