You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270895  

Print Page



© Mr Mick Humphreys LRPS

IoE Number: 270895
Location: HENLADE HOUSE,
  RUISHTON, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Mick Humphreys LRPS
Date Photographed: 12 October 1999
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

RUISHTON CPST22SEHENLADE5/104Henlade House

RUISHTON CP ST22SE HENLADE 5/104 Henlade House 25.2.55 GV II* Country house. 1805-15, enlarged circa 1890. By an unidentified Italian architect for John Proctor Anderdon. Rendered over brick, hipped slate roofs concealed behind parapets, brick stacks. Double pile facing north enlarged with billiard room in south west wing. Two storeys, 2:1:2 bays, moulded cornice below parapet, pilaster quoins centre bay breaks forward slightly, 12-pane sash windows, first floor end window left bricked up behind glazing, central flat roofed style Ionic porch with fluted columns on tall plinths, flight of 6 steps, quadrant of columns with glazed infill, and half-glazed door and inner double doors, half glazed with wrought iron Adam style fanlight. Right return with full height canted bay, blind windows. Left return of 9 bays, 2 left bays bowed out and penultimate end two bays; original 4 bays 12-pane sashes, late C19 extension sashes without glazing bars and door fourth bay right. Interior: octagonal hall opening into larger hall with curved south wall, cantilevered stone stair with cast and wrought iron balusters with rosette designs, mahogany handrails, both rooms decorated in Aesthetic movement style of circa 1872 with stencilled decoration of sunflowers against a pre-Raphaelite green background, painted coffered dome to hall. Original doors throughout groundfloor and contemporary chimney pieces probably inported from Italy, moulded plasterwork cornices and carved wooden pelmets in dining room echoing acanthus leaf decoration of plasterwork but unaccountably designed to be hung upside down; 1870s lincrusta wall paper of 'aesthetic' design, subsequently colour washed. Billiard rood panelled in stained pine, 2 fireplaces and original fittings. Interesting survival of original fittings and especially of the 1810s decorative scheme, one that has seldom been considered attractive by later generations. Exterior plaster in poor condition (November 1984).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.