You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270948  

Print Page



© Mrs Gillian Reed

IoE Number: 270948
Location: CHURCH OF ST GILES,
  BRADFORD ON TONE, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mrs Gillian Reed
Date Photographed: 16 July 2002
Date listed: 25 January 1956
Date of last amendment: 25 January 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRADFORD-ON-TONECPSTl2SEBRADFORD-0N-TONE VILLAGE5/4Church of St Giles25.1.56GVII*

BRADFORD-ON-TONE CP STl2SE BRADFORD-0N-TONE VILLAGE 5/4 Church of St Giles 25.1.56 GV II* Parish church. Circa 1300, refenestrated C15, tower early C16, 1858-9 reroofed and north wall rebuilt, 1867 restored and vestry added. Random rubble chert and local grey sandstone, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, crenellated parapets to aisles and chapel, renewed in concrete on south side. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave, north and south chapels, north-east vestry, chancel. Crenellated 3-stage tower, pinnacles and gargoyles, diagonal buttresses rising to string courses, 2-light bell-opening, string course lancet, 3-light west window with continuous hoodmould, deeply moulded west doorway, C19 double doors, stair turret with weather vane centre of south face; 2-light west window to buttressed south aisle, one 3-light left and 2 right of single storey diagonally buttressed porch, parapet with gabled centre, moulded arched opening, moulded pointed arch inner doorway, C19 door; projecting south chapel, 4-light mullioned window without hoodmould, 3-light east window and blocked priest's door, lancet on south side of diagonally buttressed chancel, 3-light east window, 2-light window to vestry with door on north front, 3-light east widow to chapel, 4-light mullioned north window without hoodmould, remains of rood stair projection, three 2-light windows between stepped buttresses, 2-light west end. Interior: rendered with exposed jambs to windows. Three bay arcade of circular piers, pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders; chancel arch corbelled out on north eall over double respond and cut on south wall; unequal arches to chapels, chamfered with leaf band capitals to north chapel, moulded to aisle, moulded with colonnettes on north side; 4-centred tower arch chamfered in 3 orders. Cinquefoil-headed piscina in north chapel; door and remains of rood stair. C19 roofs; archbraced with wall plate to nave and chancel, compartment ceilings to aisles. Recumbant effigy of mid C14 knight set into 4-centred arch niche in south wall; possibly the figure of Sir John de Meriet, died 1391; Grecian-style white marble and slate tablet to Josiah Eastern of Hele, died 1848, and other members of the family signed by Williams, 30 Eastern Road, London, C19 brass in chancel to the Adair family of Heatherton Park (qv). Black and white marble tablet to John Petten, died 1801, and family signed by E Gaffin, Regent Street. London. Fine early C18 pulpit carved in high relief from St Mary's, Taunton, Perpendicular style font of c1870. Choir stalls designed by Bligh Bond 1912. Late C19 stone reredos, restored and figures of the evangelists designed by W D Caroe added 1926, Organ by Aorgan and Smith of Brighton, installed 1913. Stained glass, West window by fir Burridge of Wellington; another window by Bell of Bristol; window in north aisle by Gerald Coles, 1967, in memory of Hugh Easton died 1965, artist in Stained glass, and James Easton died 1871, engineer. In 1387 a chantry chapel was founded at St Giles by Sir John de Meriet. (Photograph in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, last; Mathews, Bradford and its History, 1925).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.