You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 271007  

Print Page



© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 271007
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS,
  NYNEHEAD, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 05 April 2006
Date listed: 25 January 1956
Date of last amendment: 25 January 1956
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NYNEHEAD C PST12SWNYNEHEAD VILLAGE4/65Church of All Saints25.1.56

NYNEHEAD C P ST12SW NYNEHEAD VILLAGE 4/65 Church of All Saints 25.1.56 GV I Parish church. C14, south aisle and chapel c1410, 1869 church restored, organ chamber, vestry and north chapel added by Edward Sandford of Nynehead Court (qv), restored 1970s. Red sandstone, squared and uncoursed, roughcast south aisle and chapel. Ham stone and red sandstone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave, 3-bay south aisle with chapel, south porch, west chapel with Sandford Chapel adjoining, north-east organ chamber and vestry, chancel.Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonally buttressed, 2-light bell-openings with Somerset tracery, 3-light west window,moulded pointed arch west door, external stair addition in south-east corner adjoining disused stair turret; 2-light west window to diagonally buttressed south aisle, one 3-light window left and 2 right of single storey gabled porch,moulded arch opening, remains of wagon roof, moulded arch inner doorway, C19 door, 4-light window east end of south chapel, 2-light to south face of chancel, one diagonal buttress, 3-light east window, lancet, gable end of vestry with rose window and 2-light below, cinquefoil headed lancet on return, 2-light on north face of vestry, 2-light to east end of Sandford chapel, rose window north gable end, 2-light on west front beside pointed arch opening, blocked 4-centred arch head to former doorway of original north chapel, two 3-light windows to nave. Interior: rendered, exposed quoins in chancel exposed rubble in tower. Chancel arch: moulded pointed arch partly cut where rood stair inserted; moulded Perpendicular arches to south chapel; C19 three bay arcade with larger central arch to organ bay, chamfered 4-centred arch to original north chapel; chamfered pointed tower arch; 3-bay standard Perpendicular arcade. Rood stair rebuilt mid C19; hagioscope; piscina in chancel. C19 ceiled barrel vault roof to chancel, nave and aisle with renewed ribbed wagon roof with bosses and wallplate. Perpendicular font. Interesting collection of stained glass east window and rose window by Heaton, Butler and Pain, C17 and C19 armourial glass in Sandford chapel, window with royal coat of arms 1851 by Mr Toms of Wellington who was responsible for some other windows some by Mr Drake of Exeter, west window by Butler,C19 enamelled glass in chancel after designs by Sir Joshua Reynolds. Organ by Charles Bailey rebuilt by Mr Tons of Wellington. Reredos by Seymour of Taunton with "opus sectile" work by Powells of London. Three bay screen with adjoining half bays said to be c1480 with arms of the Wyke family, restored with parts of a coeval screen from Hillfarrance church (qv) added on chancel side and beside organ. Good collection of memorials; in south chapel aedicule with ? kneeling figures, Edward and Elizabeth Clarke, died 1679 and 1667, made locally in filverton for £25; tablet in moulded surround cut by jambs of east window inscribed with poem by John Locke, the philosopher, who visited the Clarkes at Chipley Park (qv) Sandford chapel with many memorials to family including portrait bust of the Rev John Sandford by Costoli 1835 and kneeling angel by same sculptor; particularly fine cartouche tablet with draped cloth carved with inscription to William Sandford died 1718. C16 tablet in chancel now illegible attributed to Wyke family,who lived at Nynehead Court (qv). Plaque with Madonna and child by workshop of Della Robbia opposite statue of Elijah by Mr Giles of Wellington in former rood stair, Another Della Robbia workshop piece in south aisle. These and the celebrated Mino da Fiesole base-relief, sold in 1970 to Cardiff Museum and Art Gallery, were given by the Rev John Sandford, vicar of Nynehead resident of Florence, whose notable art collection descended via his daughter to the Methua collection at Corsha Court. A rich collection of fittings, (Photograph in NHfli Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Whittaker, Notes in the History of Nynehead Court, 1978).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.