You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 271040  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 271040
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL,
  PITMINSTER, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 30 May 2004
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

PITMINSTER CPST11NEANGERSLEIGH9/93Church of St Michael15.1.15

PITMINSTER CP ST11NE ANGERSLEIGH 9/93 Church of St Michael 15.1.15 GV II* Parish church. Tower C14, rest C15 extensively restored c1855 when chapel added, chancel arch rebuilt, nave crenellated and church largely refenestrated, 1872 porch converted to vestry, early C20 refitted, 1960s reroofed. Roughcast over rubble, exposed plinth to tower and buttresses, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower now entrance, 3-bay nave, south porch now vestry, north chapel now organ bay, chancel. Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to lower stage,string course with gargoyles, 2-light trefoil-headed bell-openings with wooden boards in imitation of Somerset tracery, string course, 3-light west window without cusping, moulded arched west doorway, C19 door, square stair turret reaching to upper stage, crenellated nave, 3-light windows under square hoodmoulds flanking single storey gabled porch, lancets on returns, 4-centered moulded arch doorway blocked with inserted upper section of 2-light window, 2-light windows under square hoodmoulds to north and south sides of chancel, 3-light east window, 2-light windows in nave flanking crenellated chapel, 3-light north window and 2-light on return. Interior: rendered, C19 chamfered chancel arch and chapel arch, C19 4-centred arch to vestry, plain C14 tower arch with original pointed, moulded, stair-turret doorway and west doorway. C19 roofs: chancel roof with ornate carved wall plate continued as end truss, C19 principal rafter roof to nave. The notable feature of the interior is the wealth of carved woodwork, mostly early C20 and executed by A E Eastwood of Leigh Court (qv) and members of the local woodworking class. Mr Eastwood who held the living and was Lord of the Manor died in 1949 aged 89. The panelled reredos were designed by Bligh Bond. Carved bench ends and fronts, carved pulpit and lectern, the latter incorporating old panelling as does the panelled dado in chancel. Mid C20 panelled dado to tower. Norman circular font with remains of cable moulding. Stained glass including east window of 1914 attributed to Arthur Tower. Small brass chandeliers donated 1914. The C19 alterations were mainly the work of the rector, the Rev Tucker who held the living, was Lord of the Manor and lived at Leigh Court. He died 1870. It is interesting to trace the close relationship between the lordship of the manor at Leigh Court and the living. (Photograph in NMR; Anon, St Michaels Church, Angersleigh, not dated).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.