© Mr Michael Perry
PITMINSTER, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Mr Michael Perry
09 March 2006
25 February 1955
Date of last amendment:
25 February 1955
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
6/143 poundisford Park
Manor house, former detached kitchen now part of service courtyard, stable range.
House and kitchen c1550 for William Hill, dining room wing added c1693, stable,
coach house and barn dated 1717, service wing 1825. Roughcast over rubble,rubble plinth,
exposed quoins, slate roofs, coped verges, ashlar stone stacks gable ends and centre.
H-plan with entrance now on south front, north-east dining room wing, south-east service
wing extending east to form south side of service courtyard, stable range east and
former kitchen west. South front: 2 and a half storeys, all Tudor arch head
hollow chamfered mullioned windows under hoodmoulds, irregular C19 fenestration gable
ends, 3-bay centre, left gable end 2 single light windows under hoodmoulds, left one
blocked, centre 3-light gabled windows flanking central rebuilt wall stack above
quatrefoil pierced parapet, right gable single light, first floor centre 3-light windows
flanking irregularly placed lancet and stair light, crested lead guttering and fine rain
water head centre below gargoyle emptying into lead rainwater cistern dated 1671, left
gable end unlit, centre 3-light window left, right Tudor arch head doorway with
decorative spandrels to internal porch, moulded inner doorway: single bay re-entrant
angle, right,left lit on each floor but originally 2-bay, now with blocked original
windows on each floor and Tudor arch head doorway with C16 door, North front diagonal
buttresses and 3-bay dining room with 12-pane sash windows, Interior:
outstanding collection of original features and fittings. Screens passage with unusual
turned baluster columns reminiscent of the window mullions at Cothelstone (qv),
hexagonal lantern inserted and C17 doorways with coved cornice to closed gallery above
with mullioned window. Ribbed plasterwork ceiling to hall with pendants and frieze, plasterwork
Royal Coat of Arms at dais end, fine collection of late C16 and mid-late C17 plasterwork ceilings
and cornices throughout house. C16 panelling to hall, moulded surrounds to fireplace and
opening to stair turret adjoining, and oriels. C18 panelling in dining room with coeval
cornice and chimney piece. Former detached kitchen, subsequently laundry, now restaurant;
large bressuaer beam to fireplace, partially cut and with inserted treat oven. Barn abutting
converted to dwelling with stable and coach house range returned on east front dated 1717 in
south gable end, The Hill family who built this house also were responsible for Poundisford Lodge
lqv) to the north, both were built within the confines of Poundisford deer park that belonged to
the episcopal castle of Taunton until the Dissolution.
(Photographs in (Xii Country Life, June 17, 1916; August 4 and 11, 1934).