You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 271092  

Print Page

© Mr John Chester

IoE Number: 271092
Photographer: Mr John Chester
Date Photographed: 12 October 2002
Date listed: 25 January 1956
Date of last amendment: 25 January 1956
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


ST11NW SAMPFORD ARUNDEL CP SAMPFORD ARUNDEL VILLAGE 8/152 Church of the Holy Cross 25.1.56 GV II* Parish church. C14 in origin, C15 tower, church largely rebuilt and tower restored 1870s. Chert stone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, quoins, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave, south porch, chancel and north-west vestry. Crenellated 2-stage tower, string course, 2-light louvred bell-openings, lancet on south face. string course, 2-light trefoil-headed west window, square single stage stair turret in north-east corner; south aisle 2-light windows flanking gabled porch, unchamfered pointed arch opening with half-glazed door, moulded arched inner doorway, C19 door; east end 2-light window, 2 lancets to south front of chancel, 3-light east window, vestry 2-light east end, entered on north side four 2-light windows to north aisle. Interior: rendered, exposed random rubble west wall of south aisle. C19 chancel arch, chamfered in 2 orders and dying into imposts, pointed tower arch, unchanfered; circular piers to arcades, arches chamfered in 2 orders. C19 pitch pine roofs, monopitch in aisles. The most interesting feature of the church is the moulded arched niche in north aisle wall containing rectangular depression about 110 mm deep, cusped foliated inner niche containing hands clasping a cup or heart: thought to be for a heart burial. Good white and grey marble aedicule with segmental pediment carrying coat of arms in a cartouche, framing carved draped cloth with inscription to Christopher Baker, High Sherriff of Taunton, died 1729, blank panel with guilloche terminal below. Late C19 fittings including tiled sanctuary. Pair of tablets to Col Marmaduke Williamson Browne, died 1833, and his wife laria Bellett died 1828, signed Pistell, New Road, Fitzroy Sq; his tablet with draped spears, hers with a draped urn. White marble tablet on black slate in Grecian style to Richard Baron Bellett Esq, died 1835, and signed by Sharland, Torquay. Stained glass: chancel and east window of south aisle dated 1875, window in east corner of north aisle dated 1907, 2 windows dated 1920. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.