You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 271218  

Print Page



© Mrs Gillian Reed

IoE Number: 271218
Location: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD,
  OTTERFORD, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mrs Gillian Reed
Date Photographed: 07 November 2002
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST21SWOTTERFORD CPOTTERFORD VILLAGE8/50Church of St Leonard

ST21SW OTTERFORD CP OTTERFORD VILLAGE 8/50 Church of St Leonard 25.2.55 GV II* Parish church. C14, restored, nave wall rebuilt and north aisle added 1860-1, restored 1924. Squared and irregularly coursed chert stone, limestone and Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 3-bay north aisle and nave, chancel set askew, north-east vestry. Crenellated 2-stage tower, string course and gargoyles, diagonal buttresses rising to a 2-light cinquefoil headed bell openings, 3-light west window, moulded west doorway with continuous hoodmould, uncrenellated north-east stair turret; 2-light windows flanking gabled single storey porch, half-glazed double doors, sundial dated 1826 inscribed 'Our days on the earth are as a shadow", double roll moulded pointed arch inner doorway with date 1641 scratched on left jamb, offset buttress at junction with chancel, 2-light windows flanking priests door, 3-light east window, lancet on north front, single storey vestry, 2-light east window to buttressed north aisle, two 2-light windows to north front, another 2-light at west end. Interior; rendered. Perpendicular panelled chancel arch, tower arch chamfered in 2 orders, C19 3-bay arcade with corbel faces of king and queen on responds. Chancel roof: C16 ribbed barrel vault with wallplate, C19 archbraced roof to north aisle and to chancel. Mid C19 fittings, including numbered benches with some sittings designated free, Jacobean altar table, Minton tiled sanctuary; 3 C17 tomb slabs. Tablet to William Brandon of Otterhead House (demolished), died 1854, signed G Wood of Bristol. Tablet to John Banks, died 1769. (Kellys Directory, 1914).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.