You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 271231  

Print Page



©  Michael Bass

IoE Number: 271231
Location: SLOUGH COURT, SLOUGH LANE (north side)
  STOKE ST GREGORY, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Michael Bass
Date Photographed: 28 June 2002
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 18 December 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST32NWSTOKE ST GREGORY CPSLOUGH LANE (North side)3/63Slough Farmhouse(formerly listed as Slough Court)25.2.55

ST32NW STOKE ST GREGORY CP SLOUGH LANE (North side) 3/63 Slough Farmhouse (formerly listed as Slough Court) 25.2.55 GV II* Fortified manor house, now farmhouse. Late medieval ceiled C16, reroofed, service end rebuilt and porch altered mid C19. Original walls roughcast coursed and squared blue lias service end and south wing, patterned Ham stone and lias to porch and lateral stack, plain clay tiled roof extended to lateral stack, gable of porch set mid way into roof space, coped verges, roughcast chimney to lateral stack, C19 stone stacks gable ends. L-plan: probably open hall with symmetrical oriels at dais end (north), east one extended when hall ceiled, stairs rising beside lateral stack resited in enlarged porch C19, service end to right of screens passage largely rebuilt and extended C19. (Possibly a double ended open hall house with solar, now demolished). West front: 2 storeys, 4 bays, end bay left recessed, full height projecting porch, all stone mullions under hoodmoulds, first floor left 3-light C19 Tudor arch head casement, lancet right in projection beside stack, porch with C19 3-light window, small quatrefoil panel on left return, 3-light window right, ground floor 3-light window left, lancet, 3-light window right, moulded arch outer doorway, depressed 4-centred arch head inner doorway. Right return: 1:3 bays, gable end left, C19 and C20 fenestration. Rear elevation: C19 wing left, coursed Ham stone and lias to hall, first floor single light pointed arch head windows flanking 4-light, roof continued right over projection which extends a short distance beyond stack, ground floor 4-light window to hall. North gabled obscured by later additions. Interior: fine stud and panel screen with 2 openings, depressed Tudor arch head rear door frame with tiny lancet above; splendid 24-panel compartment ceiling cut by corridor adjoining screen and giving access to stairs, trefoil headed panelled openings to former oriels, window inserted on west front, east front roughly cut peaked lintel to small bay with compartment ceiling, cupboard inserted north end with blocked depressed Tudor arch head at ground level, possibly to cellar. Upper storey, depressed Tudor arch head Ham stone chimney piece to lateral stack, blocked doorway facade wall in bedroom to north, presumably to former stair cast. Three doors composed of linen fold panelling probably contemporary with hall and 2 pretty mid C19 cast iron basket grates. A garden shed attached at rear has resited 4-centred arch wooden door frame. A very fine house whose evolution is not completely clear. Remains of the moat survive to the south, adjoining the gateway (qv). The home of the Montague family in the Middle Ages and known to occupy the site of an earlier dwelling. (Olivey, North Curry, 1901; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, October 1980).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.