You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 271520  

Print Page



© Mr John Cousens

IoE Number: 271520
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY,
  BLYMHILL AND WESTON UNDER LIZARD, SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Cousens
Date Photographed: 05 July 2005
Date listed: 19 March 1962
Date of last amendment: 19 March 1962
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 81 SWBLYMHILL C.P.BLYMHILL.4/25Parish Church of St. Mary.19.3.62

SJ 81 SW BLYMHILL C.P. BLYMHILL. 4/25 Parish Church of St. Mary. 19.3.62 GV I Parish Church. C14, C15, but with much work by G. E. Street of 1856-9 and minor later alterations. Red sandstone ashlar using white sandstone to all dressed work; brown tiled roof with verge parapets; West Tower, Nave, North Aisle under separate roof, North Porch, pent South Aisle, South Vestry and Chancel. Early C15 Tower of four stages, two stage angle buttresses. string courses to top stage only with gargoyles at centres; crenellated parapet and small angle crocketed pinnacles; blocked West door now C19 two light pointed window, small square lights to third stage and two light pointed arch bell chamber openings with trefoil heads and louvres between. North Aisle and porch by Street of three bays divided by buttresses with cusped gablets. String course at cill level; various window types on North side 2 - 3 - 3 lights in plate, Geometric and 'Y' tracery; rose window to East and three light pointed to West - the latter with bas relief carved panels to spandrels of tracery below quatrefoil and leopard gargoyle to right. North Porch: Pointed arch to inner and outer doors, engaged squat columns to springing and cusped moulding with ball-flower and label over; quatrefoil side window. South Aisle and vestry by Street: Angled butrresses to 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 light windows, of trefoil headed and plate tracery to two lights; continuous range of three light hipped dormers to pent over of 1876; Arts and Crafts and not by Street. Vestry gabled with triangular apex window of trefoil and quatrefoil plate tracery. Elaborate strap hinges to priest's door below; large carved Lion gargoyle clutching buttresses between Aisle and Vestry. Chancel: C14, lower than Nave; restored two light windows to North and South and three light East window, with trefoil headed lights and quatrefoil and mouchette tracery; gabled dresser tomb engaged to South with labelled three centred arch to recess and diapered edge to table top. Interior, Nave: Of three bays, North and South arcades similar, of which the South is original; octagonal columns, moulded captials to pointed arches; rendered wall with plain arch to West, remainder of interior and fittings by Street, including North arcade, pointed, heavily moulded chancel arch on corbelled stub columns and collar trussed roof with arch braces, toothed lower faces, cusped windbraces and struts forming trefoils. North Aisle: Squat engaged marble columns up to springing of rear arch of East window to Bridgeman Chapel and pointed arch to Chancel, the latter with heavily undercut stiff leaf capitals on double columns. Chancel: Inlaid marble floor and similar roof to Nave, but with brattished wallplate, continued in Vestry. Trefoil headed and marble columned sedilia, piscina and aumbry; circular font on engaged marble columns and carved spike cover, octagonal pulpit on similar base, all by Street; part painted timber reredos arcaded screen of 1876, circular brass communion rail and brass and wrought iron screen of floral diaper pattern between Chancel and North Aisle; C19 choir stalls with poppy head finial. Painted timber altar with slender columns at angles, capped by armorials, to Bridgeman Chapel. Glass mid C19: Aisles by Wailes, Chancel by Hardman and East window by Burlison and Grylls, C20 East window to North aisle. Monuments: framed bas relief marble angel to North and German wooden bas relief of Nativity to South of Chancel; three inscribed oval and circular monuments in marble and stone 1776 - 1849 to Dickenson family, Engraving dated 1797 in Vestry shows Church before Street's alterations.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.