You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 272497  

Print Page



© Mr Dave Jones

IoE Number: 272497
Location: THE SWAN AND ATTACHED BUILDINGS,
  ALREWAS, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Dave Jones
Date Photographed: 24 February 2001
Date listed: 20 November 1986
Date of last amendment: 20 November 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 11 SWALREWAS C.P.FRADLEY JUNCTION3/11The Swan and attached-buildingsGVII

SK 11 SW ALREWAS C.P. FRADLEY JUNCTION 3/11 The Swan and attached - buildings GV II Inn, cottages and former warehouse. Circa 1770's. Red brick; slate roof; brick ridge stack and integral end stacks. Aligned north-east/ south-west. facing south-east. 2 storeys; slightly irregular fenestration but essentially 4:3:4 bays, casements with segmental heads, central pedimented break, former warehouse to the left, inn and attached cottage to the right. Central break has 3 segmental-headed arches at ground-floor level leading to a central door, and a central first-floor door; the former warehouse has a large double door to the left, and a door to the right, both with segmental heads and a first floor door to the left; the inn has a bay window to ground floor left, with hipped roof, and a central door with pedimented porch, the attached cottage has a half-glazed door. Mid-to-late C19 cottage attached to the south-west (left) end facing south-west; 2 storeys; 3 windows, segmental headed casements; central door. The Swan and its attached buildings are the most prominent of an interesting group of structures at the junction of the Trent and Mersey and Coventry canals. The Trent and Mersey canal was completed in 1777; the surveyor-general was James Brindley. Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.