You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 272660  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 272660
Location: LITTLE ASTON HALL, ALDRIDGE ROAD (south side)
  SHENSTONE, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 29 October 1975
Date of last amendment: 29 October 1975
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 00 SESHENSTONE C.P.ALDRIDGE ROAD(south side)Little Aston8/47Little Aston Hall

SK 00 SE SHENSTONE C.P. ALDRIDGE ROAD (south side) Little Aston 8/47 Little Aston Hall 29.10.75 - II Country house. Early C18, rebuilt c.1790 by James Wyatt and 1857-9 by Edward Payne for Colonel Swynfen Parker Jervis. Sandstone ashlar rusticated and vermiculated to ground floor and quoins; flat roof on cornice invisible behind balustraded parapets; massive corniced ashlar side stacks. Large plan of central block and flanking pavilions in an Italianate style. Entrance front: centre block of 3 storeys and 2,3,2 bays; top floor has glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds with segmental heads and balustraded aprons; first floor has segmental pediment heads on consoles to outer pairs of bays and semicircular shell heads to centre trio, all with deep mullioned and transomed casements and balustered aprons; ground floor again with mullioned and transomed windows with keystone heads. Central single-storey, balustraded porch (almost a porte cochere) with triglyph frieze and 6 columns to front, paired at extremities; central entrance with part-glazed door. Flanking pavilions of two storeys (almost to height of three) and three bays; round arch plate glass sashes to first floor with fretted aprons; ground floor mullioned and transomed windows with keyed heads. Plain side elevations and garden elevation of very similar appearance to entrance side but without the portico. Interior: the building is now divided into individual units and much of the elaborate decorative scheme reset or removed. The entrance hall remains intact with linenfold panelling up to ceiling level and strapwork plaster ceiling. The staircase has been replaced. S. Shaw, History of Staffordshire, ii, 1801, p.52 with engraving; H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of English Architects, London, 1978, p.949; B.O.E., p.196 , pl.89.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.