You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 272825  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 272825
Location: THORPE HALL,
  THORPE CONSTANTINE, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 09 March 1953
Date of last amendment: 09 March 1953
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 2508THORPE CONSTANTINE C.P. THORPE CONSTANTINE12/72Thorpe Hall9.3.53GVII

SK 2508 THORPE CONSTANTINE C.P. THORPE CONSTANTINE 12/72 Thorpe Hall 9.3.53 GV II Small country house. Core of 1651, remodelled in the early C19; wings of 1800 (north) and 1812 (south) by Thomas Gardner of Derby; a billiard room extension was built in 1870. Rendered, on a sandstone plinth; hipped slate roofs; rendered stacks to rear of ridge lines. Main house aligned north-west/south-east with wings to each end projecting north- east; billiard room extension to the south-east. North-east front: recessed central block flanked by projecting wings. Central block: 3 storeys on basement, reduced proportions to second floor, eaves cornice and plain parapet; 5 bays, each bay defined by pilaster strips; glazing bar sashes with sill bands. Central half-glazed 2-leaf door with eared and pedimented architrave, and fanlight with radiating glazing bars; flanking flights of stone steps sweep up to the door and are carried on a stone arch with rusticated voussoirs, they have a wrought iron balustrade and square piers. Wings: 2 storeys with floor band; 3 bays, glazing bar sashes. Single-storey, 2-bay extension to the left with 4-pane sashes. South-west (garden) front: 3 storey central block with eaves cornice and balustraded parapet, attached by set-back links to 2 storey flanking wings with bowed fronts, storey band and eaves cornice; 3:1:5:1:3 bays, glazing bar sashes with sill bands. Central single- storey Tuscan porch with half-glazed 2-leaf door, fanlight with raised keystone, and moulded cornice. C19 extension set-back to right: one storey, 3 bays, glazed semi-circular arches, door to the left flanked by pilasters. Interior: open-well staircase with decorative wrought iron balustrade. B.O.E. p.281; Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire (1904) p.391.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.