You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 273603  

Print Page



© Dr Anthea Hatfield

IoE Number: 273603
Location: DUNSTALL HALL AND ATTACHED ORANGERY, DUNSTALL
  DUNSTALL, EAST STAFFORDSHIRE, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Dr Anthea Hatfield
Date Photographed: 01 July 2001
Date listed: 17 September 1952
Date of last amendment: 17 September 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

DUNSTALL C.P.DUNSTALLSK 12 SE5/25Dunstall Hall andattached Orangery17.9.52

DUNSTALL C.P. DUNSTALL SK 12 SE 5/25 Dunstall Hall and attached Orangery 17.9.52 GV II* Country house. Early Cl9, altered and extended mid-C19. Ashlar; flat roof invisible behind cornice and balustraded parapet; ashlar stacks beyond parapet. Large L-shaped plan. Garden front: to east of 2 storeys and 3:4:3 bays; raised string at first floor level; glazing bar sashes, glazing bars removed to ground floor; lower set-back central recess; 7- bay orangery attached to right; semi-circular headed glazing bar sashes. Entrance front: to south. 1850s Tetrastyle, Ionic porte cochere with parapet fretted to form "IS QUIDEDIT MIHI SERVIT"; tripartite sash to bay oven surmounted by frieze at parapet level and pediment set against attic. storey tower; pediment has coat-of-arms in a cartouche; all set against side of-early C19 house, 2 windows to left of porch and one (formerly 2) to right. Chamfered break to left end leads into late C19 ballroom wing of 7 bays and similar style, finished by 3-sided bay. The entrance set beyond the porte cochere is finely carved with low-relief hunting scenes in art nouveau style, carried across the 2 leaves of the door by Edward Griffiths, circa and dated 1898. Interior: staircase, also by Griffiths, circa 1900, depicting carved foliage and zoo animals; Roman mosaic to main hall of Cerberus and said to come from Tivoli. B.o.E.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.