You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 273790  

Print Page



© Mr Stanley Strudwick

IoE Number: 273790
Location: BLITHFIELD HALL,
  BLITHFIELD, EAST STAFFORDSHIRE, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Stanley Strudwick
Date Photographed: 23 April 2003
Date listed: 10 January 1953
Date of last amendment: 10 January 1953
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 02 SWBLITHFIELD C.P.BLITHFIELD PARK13/83Blithfield Hall10/1/53

SK 02 SW BLITHFIELD C.P. BLITHFIELD PARK 13/83 Blithfield Hall 10/1/53 GV I Country house. Late medieval in origin, now largely C16 with additions of c1740 probably by Richard Trubshaw, and of the later C18 perhaps by Charles Cope Trubshaw, remodelled 1820-4 probably by John Buckler in a Tudor Gothic style. Brick, plastered and lined as ashlar to earlier timber frame; slate roofs; plastered brick stacks. 4 ranges surround- ing a rectangular courtyard, extensions to north-east and east, main entrance in centre of south range. North range and north-east block: North range consists of 2 parallel ranges, the southern part medieval in origin containing--Great Hall to west, screens passage and services to east with former solar, now dining room above, original kitchen, latterly a servant's hall, now a workshop, lay behond the services; northern part of c.1740, north-east block projects north from east end of north range, 2 storeys and attic with first floor band and plain parapet; 4:11:3 bays, glazing bar sashes and casements with segmental heads, including attic dormers; projeting gable end of north-east block to left with chamfered quoins, 2 parallel ranges with linking parapet, the left hand range has windows with straight heads; projecting gabled end of West range to right with diagonal buttresses, central false 4-centred doorway arch with hood mould and tall 3-light Gothic window above, the upper part lighting the attic, the rest blind; double porch towards left hand end of central range with 4-centred arches leading to doorway. West range: In 2 parts, C16 range to left, addition of 1769 to right. C16 range: 2 left hand bays of 2 storeys and attic, the rest of 2 storeys; 6 bays spanned by 5 irregular gables with bracketed barge boards; glazing bar sashes with returned hood moulds, 2 storey canted bay to right with moulded parapet and central glazed door, single storey canted bays to left of centre with Tudor arch openings. 1769 addition: 2 storeys with first floor band and low pitch roof, 2 bays, glazing bar sashes, octagonal crenellated turret to right hand angle. South range: C16 with addition of 1769 to west end, cloister with gallery over, added to north side in 1820-4. 2 storeys with crenellated parapet; 1:3:1:2 bays, projecting gable end of West range to left with octagonal angle turrets, 3-storey gatehouse to right of centre with diagonal buttresses surmounted by finials, and 4-centred gate arch with returned hood mould, the other bays are separated by projecting chimney stacks with star shaped shafts; mullioned windows of 4-Tudor arch lights under a square head with returned hood mould, left hand bay has ground floor window with 3 cinquefoil headed lights under a square head, panelled spandrels and a returned hood mould, first floor oriel window of 4 lights on fan brackets with angels holding shields. 2 storey set-back kitchen wing to right; 6-light mullioned windows to first floor with returned hood moulds. East elevation: 3 storeys with crenellated parapet; 6 bays of east range flanked by north-east block on the right and low kitchen wing on the left, glazing bar sashes and casements with returned hood moulds; partly colonaded single storey lean-to in front of east range and north- east block, extending approximately10yar$qeast of the latter. Interior: South range: Porch and entrance hall: Porch has lierne vault and niches in the side walls and leads to an entrance hall with flat panelled ceiling. SK 02 SW BLITHFIELD C.P. BLITHFIELD PARK Blithfield Hall (Continued) Cloister: On north side of range; rib vaulting springs from colonettes, blind panelling between each window bay, windows of 3 cinquefoil headed lights beneath a 4-centred arch. North range: Great Hall has decor of 1822, elaborate lierne vault with pendants, tall canopied niches, tall chimney piece framing late C16 panelling, 3 tall 2-light transomed windows to south, the plasterwork is by Francis Bernasconi. Great staircase was re-set from lower end of hall, c.1660, oak, elaborately carved openwork balustrades and newel finials. The Dining Room (Formerly The Library). Probably the solar or great chamber origin- ally; wide barrel ceiling; Elizabethan or Jacobean panelling rearranged and coloured green and gold, large fireplace with cambered head probably c.1820. The Study: c.1740 with plastered panelling. Blithfield Hall had been the home of the Bagot family since the late C14. B.O.E. p.p. 72-3. Country Life: Vol. CXVI. p.p. 1488, 1576, 1664.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.