You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 273904  

Print Page



© Mr Geoffrey R Hood LRPS, CPAGB

IoE Number: 273904
Location: LOXLEY HALL,
  UTTOXETER RURAL, EAST STAFFORDSHIRE, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Geoffrey R Hood LRPS, CPAGB
Date Photographed: 18 May 2004
Date listed: 10 January 1953
Date of last amendment: 10 January 1953
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 03 SEUTTOXETER RURAL C.P.LOXLEY PARK6/19610/1/53Loxley Hall

SK 03 SE UTTOXETER RURAL C.P. LOXLEY PARK 6/196 10/1/53 Loxley Hall GV II* Country house, now school. Early C19 remodelling of an earlier house. Ashlar, and plaster lined as ashlar; hipped slate roofs; ashlar ridge stacks. 3 storeys, reduced proportions to second floor, moulded eaves cornice and low parapet; 3:5:3 bays, slightly recessed centre flanked by wings, glazing bar sashes, sill band to first-floor windows, outer ground-floor windows are set within round-headed recesses, inner ground-floor windows have moulded archi- traves and cornice hoods, central first-floor window has moulded architrave and bracketed pediment; central 6-panelled, 2-leaf door with 2 blind panels over, moulded architrave and bracketed hood, 3- bay Tuscan portico prostyle. Set-back 2-storey, single-bay link to left in front of 3-storey, 3-bay service wing and attached to single-storey, 6-bay flat-roofed extension. East front: 3 storeys with moulded eaves cornice and low-parapet; 3:5:3 bays, central recessed block flanked by 2 wings, glazing bar sashes, sill band to first floor windows; central 6-panelled, 2-leaf door with overlight containing radiating glazing bars, moulded architrave and reeded brackets to cornice hood, C20 door to left hand bar of central block. Interior: Early C18 open-well staircase with barley sugar twist balusters, scrolled and foliated brackets, ramped and wreathed hand rail. Hall: Jacobean wall panelling and frieze with armorial bearings dated 1607; lower end of room has a balustraded gallery carried on Ionic columns, upper end has a Jacobean fireplace surround incorporating Corinthian columns on pedestals, decorated with strapwork and the coat of arms of James I; decorative plaster ceiling and frieze. Master Bedroom: Divided by fluted columns of square Section carrying a 3-centred arch with keystone, and egg and dart moulding; Greek key frieze at mid-wall height. Formerly the home of the Kynnersley family.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.